ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal and Italy. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
The Regulatory Affairs Specialist I reports directly to the Manager of Global Regulatory Affairs. This position is responsible for assisting with the overall management of matters involving the company’s regulatory initiatives and regulatory compliance, specifically relating to new product development and existing products. Under the direction of the Manager, Global Regulatory Affairs, the Regulatory Affairs Specialist I will work with multiple relevant stakeholders such as the Legal Team, Quality Assurance, Marketing, Sales, and Research & Development to ensure product compliance. The Regulatory Affairs Specialist I researches and provides updates on existing and future key legislation that could affect new and existing product line development to his/her manager for review. Additionally, this individual will be heavily involved in making a positive contribution to implementing key legislative changes including FSMA and SFCA (U.S. and Canadian Regulation Updates). Additionally, this role will be responsible for providing excellent customer service and maintaining positive business relationships with both internal and external customers and/or vendors.
EDUCATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Regulatory Affairs, Nutrition or Food Science, Chemistry or related field is required plus at least 1-2 years of applicable regulatory work experience
- Knowledge of the Food & Beverage or Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industry is strongly preferred
- In conjunction with the Manager of Global Regulatory Affairs, assists in handling compliance with regulatory standards, systems, processes and SOP’s
- In conjunction with the Manager of Global Regulatory Affairs, verifies that operating actions meet requirements (as defined by the company, federal, state and foreign statutes)
- Reviews, modifies, and approves print labeling for regulatory compliance
- Supports the Manager of Global Regulatory Affairs in launching and maintaining a regulatory department database
- Serves as an advisor to the New Product Development team on global regulatory requirements as needed
- Generates and maintains documentation and SOP’s as needed
- Assists Manager of Global Regulatory Affairs with product life-cycle management in full compliance with applicable regulatory obligations
- Assists with the development, management, and identification of key regulatory timelines and regulatory activities
- Adheres to established processes for drafting, submitting, and representing application data to regulatory authorities
- Conducts market research to gain intelligence on existing and future key legislation; disseminates information to applicable parties as required
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
The candidate who will be a strong motivational/ cultural fit should demonstrate a high degree of the following traits:
- ADAPTABILITY/FLEXIBILITY - Maintaining effectiveness in varying environments and with different tasks, responsibilities, and people. Ability to adjust to changes in context.
- BUILD STRONG WORK RELATIONSHIPS - Seeks, listens to and acts on the input of people at all levels.
- CONTINUOUS LEARNING - Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- DEPENDABILITY/RELIABILITY/RESPONSIBILITY - Taking responsibility for one’s action. Being known as someone that will deliver on their areas of responsibility and can be counted on, even under difficult circumstances.
- FOCUS ON RESULTS - Persists to overcome obstacles; Challenges people at all levels to exceed current levels of performance; Move peoples focus from analysis to action.
- INITIATIVE - Self-starting rather than accepting passively; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive; asserting one's influence over events to achieve goals.
- PROCESS IMPROVEMENT - Ability to reduce waste, inefficiency; standardize or simplify activities to the benefit of the customer.
- SYSTEMATIC THINKING/ACTION - Understanding how things influence one another as a whole. Ability to manage inter-connections in a way that creates better processes.
- TEAMWORK - Working effectively with team/work group or those outside the formal line of authority (e.g., peers, senior managers – not subordinate)
- None, although bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is preferred
- Less than 15%, some international travel may be required
- Full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K and other benefits
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.