The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks one Program Officer for each Lagos and Kano States to support a TB services project under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in TB, family planning, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other health areas. In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus will capacitate private providers to scale up tuberculosis case finding, diagnosis, treatment and reporting in Lagos and Kano States.
The Program Offices will support implementation of a TB services expansion project that will increase availability of TB services in the private sector, improve flow of suspected TB patients into detection and treatment centers, improve the quality of private sector TB services, and strengthen health systems to foster and sustain Public Private Mix (PPM) models for TB care.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with all SHOPS Plus team members implement private sector TB program.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the TB team.
- Organize training activities and meetings.
- Provide assistance in reviewing technical resource materials (e.g., training materials, SBCC plans, strategy documents, job aids) and programming tools to support meeting project objectives.
- Collaborate with the State Coordinator in mobilizing the community to attend trainings and outreach activities.
- Contribute to communication, advocacy and knowledge management tasks including documentation.
- Assist the State Coordinator in ensuring timely implementation and reporting of activities, as well as the achievement of results and accountability to USAID and SHOPS Plus home office.
- Coordinate input for state-level information for work plans and progress reports.
- Support data collection and analysis for monitoring and evaluation.
- Identify needs and develop scopes of work for short-term technical assistance.
- Support the financial staff to manage budget and track expenses.
- Monitor compliance with USAID regulations and Abt policies.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree in health management, public health, communications, business administration, or other relevant field, plus five years of professional experience.
- At least five years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in TB and/or infectious disease is preferred.
- Ability to write technical papers and reports.
- Computer skills in MS Windows, Excel, Word.
- Ability to travel within the state at 50% is required.
- Experience on USAID-funded projects preferable.
(6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.