The Social and Economic Policy Division helps guide development of the nation’s prominent policies and programs. Our contributions—at all government levels—have resulted in better programs on housing, community revitalization, education, workforce development, income security, food assistance, and in support of children, youth, and disadvantaged families. Our clients include the Departments of Housing and Urban Development, Education, Health and Human Services, Labor, Veterans Affairs, and the Food and Nutrition Service, among others.
The Social and Economic Division of Abt Associates is looking for a Statistician to work on evaluations of a broad range of social programs. Work will focus on power projection, non-response adjustment, imputation, and regression modeling. We are willing to train a candidate who has a strong basic education in mathematical statistics. Position will be located in the Rockville, MD, office.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Calculate required sample sizes and power for experiments
- Learn and apply techniques to improve the analysis of partially reported data
- Review draft papers for adherence to statistical standards
- Assist the production of tables for analytic reports
- Draft technical appendices for technical reports
- Review draft proofs of senior statisticians
- Write and run simulation software to verify and extend theoretical results
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree in Statistics
- Graduate-level real analysis, probability theory, and design of experiments
- Coursework in public policy, sociology, micro-economics, anthropology, or psychology
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Interest in programming
- Technical and task management skills required
- Ability to effectively multitask in a fast-paced environment
- SAS and R programming experience
- Coursework in survey sample design
- BA/BS with 3 - 5 years of experience OR MA/MBA (Entry Level) OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.