Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Plant Manager, the Safety Manager eliminates or controls hazardous conditions resulting from human error and/or associated with the machinery, tools, equipment, and production of the applicable JELD-WEN product at the facility they are located.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops safety policies and programs including training programs, processes and procedures. Maintains, files, analyzes and processes safety records.
- Manages and facilitates effective management partnership in safety initiatives.
- Oversee, lead and manage plant practices, procedures, standards, and reporting regarding safety and workers compensation.
- Manages or assists in directing and coordinating all safety and health related activities for the facility to prevent occupational injury/illness related losses, and minimize future liabilities by evaluating risks and establishing appropriate loss control/reduction activities.
- Designs or assists in the design of protective equipment or safety devices for workers, machines and other plant equipment to eliminate occupational hazards.
- Stays informed on local, state, federal, and JELD-WEN corporate policies and procedures, standards and regulations, and subsequent interpretations that impact the plant/facility including, but not limited to, local, state, and federal OSHA, ANSI, DOT, etc. Audits plant and shop areas and implements actions to comply with said safety regulations and correct hazardous situations.
- Develops and executes internal and external reporting processes for incidents, trends, and analysis. Investigates serious loss incidents to company property and personnel to determine root causes and develop countermeasures and corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Effectively maintains accident report files, incident files, accident investigations and other safety related reports, regulations and issues.
- Lead and manage Safety Team meetings and inspections. Manages and assists outside regulatory visits. Informs management on any issues that may exist and takes corrective actions on same to stay in conformance with regulations.
- Coordinate the Fire Prevention program including routine inspections/testing and issuance of work permits; acts as the company/plant liaison with the property insurance carrier and local fire authorities.
- Handles the Safety Design Process program including machine and process risk assessment and new/modified equipment safety issues. Works with Continuous Improvement Manager and teams to ensure safety and efficiency are established.
- Conduct New Hire Safety Orientation program including providing the required training for newly hired employees and teammates.
- Continually trains, educates and refreshes all plant employees on safety policies and procedures. Post safety protocol and regulatory requirements in appropriate plant/facility locations.
- Participates as needed in special department projects as determined by the Plant Manager, Corporate, or other appropriate supervisory personnel.
- Bachelor's Degree in Safety or safety related field and at least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in Safety programs, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Associates Degree in a Safety related field required and seven (7) to ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in a manufacturing environment.
- A combination of some college, safety certifications, and ten (10) to fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible Safety experience in a manufacturing environment in the door and window industry may be substituted for the degrees at the discretion of management.
- Some basic knowledge and experience in production and manufacturing processes and techniques, preferably at JELD-WEN or the door and window industry.
- The ability to develop and apply methods for the safe installation of storage and movement systems for machinery, parts and components on the facility/plant floor.
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, technical aptitude, and problem solving skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization including the hourly workforce, first line supervision and plant management staff.
- Strong team skills, including the ability to coach and develop work teams and provide or arrange for appropriate safety training of plant/facility personnel.
- The ability to motivate/empower others, and resolve safely related issues.
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other JELD-WEN associated computer software and hardware applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to maintain the highest degree of integrity.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day. May on occasion travel to appropriate safety seminars and training.
JELD-WEN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. To ensure the safety and health of our employees, JELD-WEN maintains a drug-free work environment.