Summary: Under the general direction of the Group Plant Manager (GPM) or the Vice President of Operations (VPO), the Plant Manager (PM) position is responsible for, and directs and manages all plant operations. This position has the overall responsibility for production at their respective manufacturing facility, and for driving JELD-WEN’s Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), including, but not limited to, SQDCI, TPS, OTD, and Continuous Improvement (CI) activities and initiatives in direct support of JELD-WEN’s Mission Statement for their respective product line.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs and manages all plant operations in accordance with JELD-WEN’s Mission Statement and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Coordinates all plant activities by working with Production and Departmental Managers to ensure that total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely, cost effective and efficient manner using LEAN manufacturing processes.
- Develops, controls, plans, and implements the plant budget to maximize profits by utilizing SQDCI, TPS, OTD, and Continuous Improvement (CI) initiatives.
- Implements cost effective systems of control over operating expenditures, manpower, wages and salaries, and manages capital asset/improvement projects.
- Establishes and monitors overall plant performance for safety, production and quality standards, working closely with CI Managers and CI and Safety Teams.
- Controls and minimizes labor overtime, premium freight and repair expenses.
- Maintains existing plant facilities and equipment; replaces, or submits requests for adjustments to plant facilities and equipment when necessary and as needed. Works with the VPO, R&D, and/or Engineering in developing specs for same.
- Works closely with R&D and other JELD-WEN Administrative Support Departments in testing and implementing new materials and product lines.
- Coordinates plant and production activities through strategic planning with Group Plant Managers and the VPO, to ensure that total manufacturing objectives are aligned in accordance with JELD-WEN’s Mission Statement and KPI’s.
- Oversees the implementation of safety and preventative maintenance programs, incorporating and driving safety procedures and plant cleanliness as a priority.
- Incorporates shop floor organization with applicable Process Engineering personnel, to ensure production processes are fluid, efficient, and effective.
- Provides leadership and training to accomplish corporate goals/objectives/KPI’s.
- Provides direction, development and leadership to managerial personnel.
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective actions as necessary and in a timely manner, in accordance with company policy. Consults with Human Resources, Legal and/or Corporate offices as needed on same.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Engineering or a related field, and at least seven (7) to ten (10) years experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in the door and window industry. A Master’s Degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- An Associate’s Degree in a related field and at least ten (10) years experience in a managerial capacity at JELD-WEN may be substituted for more advanced degrees and education, at the discretion of corporate management.
- Advanced knowledge of raw materials, preferably for door/window applications.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in production and manufacturing process improvement techniques including, but not limited to, SQDCI, TPS, OTD, and Continuous Improvement (CI) initiatives and methodologies.
- LEAN manufacturing and/or production process experience a must.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and manufacturing related schematics.
- Strong knowledge of business, finance, quality control systems and standards.
- Advanced leadership, interpersonal, technical aptitude, and problem solving skills, and the ability to lead and drive manufacturing process improvement techniques through the production process in a skillful and deliberate manner.
- A team player, and the ability to coach and mentor managerial personnel, and instill JELD-WEN’s Mission and cultural values in all plant personnel.
- Superior motivational skills and the ability to train, and drive CI methods and initiatives into managers and subordinate personnel.
- Fundamental knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to include corporate personnel and managers, and rank and file plant personnel.
- Advanced understanding of JELD-WEN’s KPI’s, corporate goals, and profit margins and objectives.
- Advanced knowledge of management principles and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting, purchasing and related disciplines.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from corporate, groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other position applicable software applications.
- Strong knowledge of plant/OSHA health and safety standards and compliance.
- Travel: up to 15% +/-.
JELD-WEN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. To ensure the safety and health of our employees, JELD-WEN maintains a drug-free work environment.