Title: Senior Education & Quality Assurance Administrator
Location: Upper East Side
Org Unit: Education and Quality Assurance
Work Days: Monday-Friday
Exemption Status: Exempt
Pay Grade: 09
This senior leadership position within the Center for Comparative Medicine and Pathology (CCMP) serves Weill Cornell Medicine (WCM) including WCM-Qatar, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) and the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS). Independently, this role develops, implements and oversees government mandated training programs for faculty and staff using animals for research and teaching, as well as for the CCMP’s animal care staff. He/she administers a learning management system and mentors veterinary fellows in the Tri-Institutional Training Program in Laboratory Animal Medicine and Science.
This role also serves as the primary interface between the CCMP and WCM/HSS’s and MSK's animal care and use committees and institutional leadership with respect to various regulatory issues, ensuring institutional compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations.
- Develops and oversees the delivery of comprehensive didactic (seminar and eLearning) and hands-on educational programs for new and current investigative and departmental employees.
- Monitors all aspects of policies and procedures relating to animal care and use, ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state/local regulations and institutional policies. Serves as the primary institutional interface with State and Federal agencies.
- Serves as a member, and participates in protocol review and other responsibilities, on Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs). Serves as the principal liaison between the IACUCs and the CCMP.
- Coordinates institutional protocol pre-review and post-approval monitoring programs.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) and oversees the CCMP’s SOP system.
- Oversees the implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety Program for Animal Users and CCMP staff.
- Manages EnCCoMPass University, the tri-institutes learning management system supporting over 5000 animal users.
- Mentors veterinary fellows in regulatory process and procedures in the Tri-Institutional Training Program in Laboratory Animal Medicine and Science.
- Oversees compliance and training with respect to the in vivo (animals) use of hazardous chemicals, biologics, and radionuclides.
- Oversees institutional audit functions for the handling and use of control substances in animal research.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Post-baccalaureate degree in Veterinary Science or related field is preferred.
Veterinary degree and advanced training in comparative medicine is highly desired.
Veterinary Technology or Animal Health Science and AALAS certification at Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level, if not a veterinarian.
Approximately 5-8 years animal care and use program experience encompassing regulatory compliance and training.
Comprehensive knowledge of regulations governing the use of animals in research.
Knowledge of occupational health and safety with respect to animal care and use.
Previous participation on an Animal Care and Use Committee.
ACLAM-board certification a plus.
Experience in adult education programs beneficial.
Learning management system administration experience helpful.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced level interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to provide a visible, highly professional and positive “hands-on” direction to the staff. The goal is to instill and nurture a positive attitude, professional demeanor and atmosphere of cooperation and camaraderie among the entire team.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Weill Cornell Medicine is a comprehensive academic medical center that's committed to excellence in patient care, scientific discovery, and the education of future physicians in New York City and around the world. Our doctors and scientists-faculty from Weill Cornell Medical College, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the Weill Cornell Physician Organization-are engaged in world-class clinical care and cutting-edge research that connect patients to the latest treatment innovations and prevention strategies. Located in the heart of the Upper East Side's scientific corridor, Weill Cornell Medicine's powerful network of collaborators extends to its parent university Cornell University; to Qatar, where an international campus offers a U.S. medical degree; and to programs in Tanzania, Haiti, Brazil, Austria and Turkey. Our medical practices serve communities throughout New York City, and our faculty provide comprehensive care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital, and NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens. At Weill Cornell Medicine, we work together to treat each individual, not just their conditions or illnesses, as we strive to deliver the finest possible care for our patients - the center of everything we do. Weill Cornell Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled employer.