Responsible for producing recombinant proteins and monoclonal antibodies that will be used as reagents for therapeutic antibody discovery at the Tri-Institutional Therapeutics Discovery Institute (Tri-I TDI).
This role will carry out expression and purification of recombinant proteins and monoclonal antibodies, perform medium-throughput antibody purification from hybridoma cell culture using automation, as well as conduct quality control and validation experiments for proteins and antibodies, amongst other duties.
- May independently or semi-independently, designs and carries out experiments. Analyzes and interprets experimental results and provides input related to subsequent experimental designs.
- Evaluates, recommends, and develops new techniques to assist in overall laboratory efficiency.
- Ensures laboratory quality assurance goals and standards are met. Evaluates results of quality control trends and implements corrective action when needed.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
- Audits and screen vendors/suppliers to evaluate the quality of products and equipment they supply. Corresponds with them for technical support pertaining to those products.
- Writes/amends laboratory operating protocols and implements new technology and protocols as needed.
- May need to assist in the orientation and training of new investigators, fellows, residents, and technical staff and/or provide working supervision to lower level laboratory staff.
- Prepares and maintains detailed records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations, and statistical analysis charting.
- Conducts library research and literature searches using various computer systems. Assists in editing scientific publications, abstracts and/or posters.
- Ensures a clean working area and is responsible for washing and storing glassware.
- Ensures the safe laboratory practices are followed, including the use and disposal of chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Responsible for tissue & cell culture activities.
- May be responsible for animal husbandry, genotyping, surgeries, post-operative care, behavioral testing, sectioning and histology.
- May perform routine molecular biology laboratory procedures, such as PCR, protein and DNA electrophoresis, cloning and DNA preparation.
- May run routine biochemistry assays including western blotting and RT-PCR.
- May perform microscopic imaging analyses.
- May be responsible for the receipt, storage, cataloguing and shipment of samples within and between institutions.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
Bachelor's degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, or related field is preferred. Master’s degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, or related field is highly desired.
Approximately 6 years of experience in protein and antibody purification in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry, or in an academic laboratory.
Demonstrated track record with publications or patents.
In-depth experience in protein and antibody production in mammalian and bacterial expression systems.
Extensive knowledge in protein and antibody purification techniques using fastperformance liquid chromatography (FPLC) methods.
Experience in using ÄKTA chromatography purification systems is desirable.
Knowledge of molecular biology techniques (cloning, DNA extractions), protein detection methodologies (Western Blot, ELISA) and/or cell-based assays desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to estimate work, organize, plan and schedule multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Advanced verbal/written and English communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with multiple constituents.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Standard laboratory conditions.
Abilitty to work flexible hours.
This position may handle radioactive material and/or biologic materials from human subjects as required.
This position may require standing or sitting for long periods of time.
This role may require working within Biologic Safety Level 1, 2 and/or 3 facilities.