Career Opportunities: Safety Specialist (9119)
Requisition ID 9119 - Posted 03/22/2019
Position Location: Hanson, KY
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Safety Manager
Job Band: Professional
The Safety Specialist is a business partner that will collaborate with leadership to ensure that OSHA compliance is met and a safe work environment is provided to all Carhartt associates. The Safety Specialist will act as a safety consultant on all safety related issues globally and assist with developing and leading safety committees at all facilities.
- Oversee OSHA compliance.
- Coordinate and facilitate mandatory OSHA training in all assigned facilities for Supply Chain.
- Coordinate and facilitate safety training, including but not limited to; new hire orientation, annual compliance, and contractor training as needed.
- Act as a consultant with safety issues to management and leadership globally (including Corporate, Retail and Mexico).
- Collaborate with company leadership in the preparation of the Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Response Plans
- Maintain training records for all mandatory Safety and OSHA training in assigned facilities.
- Supports the development, promotion and maintenance of safety and health programs along with policies and training programs.
- Lead safety committees with a focus on safety awareness and creating an environment free of incidents.
- Educate safety committees in the understanding of safety audits and conduct audits on a monthly basis.
- Conduct ongoing safety inspections of facilities, operations and equipment to insure compliance and a safe working environment for all Carhartt associates.
- Act as a professional liaison in case of government agency inspections concerning safety, environmental or ergonomic issues.
- Direct the case management process from the initial incident to the return of the employee to work or the alternate dispute resolution process begins. Making necessary decisions throughout the process.
- Assist the employees in seeking appropriate medical treatment.
- Act as a liaison between third party administrator, Carhartt, Inc. and legal.
- Lead accident investigations and assists in the development of action plans to prevent a reoccurrence while also educating leadership and associates.
- Helps coordinate and participate in activities for the Health and Safety fair on annual basis.
- Provides guidance and assists management, in partnership with the Benefits and HR Ops team, with questions related to sensitive issues about work restrictions/accommodations.
- Bachelor's Degree Required in Human Resources or Related Field
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Occupational Safety or Safety Management or equivalent years of related work experience
- Minimum of 4 years of safety related experience. Experience with a manufacturing or distribution environment preferred.
- OSHA certification preferred
- Safety certification preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the proven ability to communicate with all levels including management.
- Outstanding organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Adaptable to constant changing environments.
- Strong business relationships with internal customers and peers.
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative, follow up and follow through on all areas of responsibility
- Office Environment
- Moderate Lifting (30-40 lbs.)
- Willing to work some weekends if necessary
- Travel (25%)
- Tobacco Free