NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
The HVAC tech installs, maintains, and repairs residential HVAC systems. This position requires knowledge gained through prior experience in HVAC trades or completion of an approved HVAC apprenticeship.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Diagnose and troubleshoot all types and brands of residential HVAC systems.
- Possess technical knowledge to replace, assemble, test and install all components of a residential HVAC system.
- Present products and pricing with multiple options to clients face to face, in an in home sales setting.
- Possess proficiency in mobile device software for HVAC system sales and service tickets.
- Work with office support team for pricing, scheduling, customer service issues and safety concerns.
- High school Diploma, GED, or equivalent math and English skills required
- Certifications - EPA Certification
- NATE certified a plus
- LPG license is also a plus
Generally requires 2 years related experience
- Good practical skills.
- An ability to follow technical drawings, building plans, wiring diagrams, duct design and air flow.
- An ability to work carefully, methodically and safely.
- A head for heights and willingness to work in all sorts of weather.
- A willingness to work in confined spaces.
- Good communicative skills with the ability to effectively work with a variety of internal and external customers.
- Ability to communicate diagnostic findings and propose (or sell) solutions to residential customers.
- Ability to effectively use mobile computing devices to capture/record diagnostic results, create estimates and job specific proposals.
- Ability to document job specific information, complete and close out work orders and receive and record customer payment when required.
- Bilingual is a plus.
- Applicant shall have worked in the trade for at least 2 years, training under an EPA certified contractor.
- A valid EPA Certificate
- Must be prepared to work irregular or rotating shifts and respond to on-call and emergency service requests.
- Ability to work in mentally stressful environments: must be able to react to crises where immediate action is required to correct or curtail potentially damaging or hazardous situations.
- Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and extended from body to complete repairs.
- Lift, carry, position and use tools and/or equipment (weighing up to 50 lbs.) in awkward positions, swing various weights of sledge hammers, stoop and bend to reach valves, pull on chain-falls or come-a-longs.
- Ability to twist the body and neck while driving company vehicles or operating company equipment.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required i.e.…steel-toed boots, respirators, goggles, safety glasses etc.
- Have ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals.
- Ability to discern assorted colors
HVAC work is sometimes strenuous. They stand for long periods of time and frequently work on ladders. Some may work in dusty, dirty, hot, or wet conditions, or in confined areas, attics, or other uncomfortable places. They must follow strict safety procedures.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources