Maintenance Technician - Mechanical
EES Coke Battery
Locations: River Rouge, Michigan
The Maintenance Technician position is located at the EES Coke Battery on Zug Island in River Rouge, Michigan. The Coke Battery is a plant that produces coke from various types of coal blends and is then used as fuel in the blast furnaces at the steel mills.
The position requires you to work a 12 hour rotating shift. There are two shifts: day shift is from 6:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and the night shift is from 6:30 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. The schedule is a 4 week rotation; you will work 14 out of 28 days with 7 days off in a row somewhere in the 4 week rotation.
The hourly rate is $25.14 plus $0.30 extra per hour for shift work. This position also receives quarterly bonuses of up to $7,500 per year, based on EES Coke Battery's quality and production.
This is not a position with Detroit Edison; it's a position with EES Coke Battery, which is a subsidiary of DTE Energy.
The work environment is heavy industrial and requires wearing fire retardant clothing, steel-toed boots, hard hat, safety glasses and a respirator (when required in specific areas). The Coke Battery is an outside plant that may require working in high areas, at times, and exposure to all types of weather conditions including heat of up to 130 degrees in the summer months. The position requires you to possess and maintain a valid state driver's license.
Performs all maintenance functions necessary to maintain all operating and service equipment using standard and specialized tools and equipment including mobile equipment as required. Operates equipment in conjunction with repairs and provides assistance in operating functions as necessary to maintain continuity of operations. May work alone, with minimal supervision or with other Maintenance Technicians and coordinates and works in conjunction with operating team members in the performance of maintenance tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains various types of machinery in the coke making process
- Responsible for participating in safety activities to meet or exceed organizational goals and expectations
- Maintains interpersonal relationships with individuals both external and internal to the organization
- Be an active participant of developing and maintaining a culture of professionalism
- Responsible for following all rules, policies, or expectations
- Responsible for environmental compliance
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A high school diploma or GED is required, with a Millwright Journeyman's Card or 8 years of heavy industrial experience to provide the following:
- Must have experience in the mechanical field relating to minor repairs all the way to total major rebuilds on Coke producing, Coke screening, Coal handling, conveyor systems and related equipment
- Must be proficient in the following skills: stick welding - all positions, 7018 and 6010, rigging, hydraulics, pipefitting, layout and fabrication from prints, oxy/acetylene torch burning and coupling alignment
- Strong safety experience
- Ability to work in a team orientated atmosphere
- Demonstrated capability to achieve results through people, technology and processing equipment
- Good knowledge of the assigned area(s) of responsibility
- Ability to function within a matrix organization where employees report to both a functional leader and a business leader
- Ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with both a functional and business leader
- Must be goal oriented
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, coworkers, and management
The physical demands characterized here epitomize those that must be met by an employee to properly perform the integral functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In order to properly perform the integral functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to: stand or walk and stoop or kneel or sit. It is crucial to the outcome of job tasks that the employee is able to: talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms extensively.
The employee in this classification will be required to frequently lift objects of up to 25 pounds in weight. Occasionally the employee will have to lift or move objects of up to 50 pounds in weight.
Vision requirements for this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, including wet and/or humid conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and/or machinery. The noise level in the work environment is loud.
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.