Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones.
As an intern, the Dolby U program offers impactful, project-based work experience in a collaborative,creative environment where you work side by side with industry leaders. Amplify your insatiable curiosity by implementing real-world solutions that revolutionize how people communicate and how entertainment is created, delivered, and enjoyed worldwide. For anyone seeking to gain invaluable expertise through meaningful, personal contributions, join us to design a future where technology meets entertainment!
This position will perform month-end and quarter-end duties, assisting the Finance team in driving the monthly financial closing process to ensure its accuracy, integrity, and timeliness. You will perform assigned month-end closing activities such as journal entries, GL account reconciliations, and analyses.The intern will also assist with monitoring Via’s numerous patent pool bank accounts, working with the Cash Accountant to accurately apply all cash payments received and ensure reconciliation of the A/R sub-ledger to the GL. Ownership of preparing and sending Initial Fee, Patent Evaluation Fee, and Reimbursable Invoices according to terms of the agreements. This unique opportunity to be a Licensing Accountant provides an exciting chance to be part of a highly dynamic organization and team working in the field of providing innovation-enhancing intellectual property programs and business solutions.
- Download daily bank statements and work with Cash Accountant in applying all payment received,
- populate cash files and identify proper customer IDs and invoice numbers.
- Prepare initial fee and patent evaluation fee invoice requests.
- Prepare monthly billing of reimbursable expenses.
- Assist Licensing Accounting team in performing monthly and quarterly closes, general ledger account reconciliations, and ad hoc reports as assigned and needed.
- Analyze GL entries and prepare journal entries for posting as needed–reclass, amortization, and interest income.
- Review, record, and amortize accrued liabilities, expenses, and revenues on a monthly basis.
- Perform collection duty, send dunning notices, and make sure companies pay their invoices in a timely manner.
- Communicate with licensees regarding outstanding invoices.
- Perform Accounts Payable functions–coding invoices to proper accounts and forwarding invoices for payment.
- Work as needed with Legal Operations team to ensure that Licensing Accounting’s requests are handled in a timely manner.
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with organization policy and GAAP.
- Contribute to continuous system implementations and process improvements.
- Understand the internal control at Via and maintain proper documentation and backup. Work with Internal
- Control and outside auditors on Sarbanes-Oxley compliance audit.
- Assist team members as needed.
- Analysis and other Ad Hoc projects as assigned.
- A minimum of one years’ accounting experience, or equivalent, preferably in the General Ledger areas.
- Knowledge of accounting policies and internal controls.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively apply principles of accounting in a business environment gained through experience.
- Must be highly motivated, with a high degree of accuracy, and ability to prioritize multiple tasks and organize work to meet deadlines without direct supervision.
- A positive attitude, with a strong initiative to learn, and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Must possess good analytical skills and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office with an emphasis in Excel (VLookup, Pivot Tables, If/Then Statements, etc.) and knowledge of SAP a plus.
- Recent grads who are within 6 months of graduation are also eligible to apply
- Must be available to work full-time Monday–Friday for 6 months between Jan/Feb 2019–June/July 2020
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.