Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
The Educator in the Workforce program is designed for participants to experience an on-site "internship" opportunity at Duquesne Light to obtain first-hand knowledge of career opportunities within the electric utility. During the experience, educators will gain exposure to a wide-range of careers at Duquesne Light, with a focus on skilled craft positions.
During the hands-on program, educators will be immersed into the Duquesne Light workforce and will spend the 2 week program learning from, and participating in project simulations with experienced electric utiltiy employees in our facilities. Highlights of the program include:
- Paid opportunity
- Ability to earn Act 48 Credits
- Deliverable at completion is a Lesson Plan that the educator will take back to their home school
- All lesson plans would be shared among the cohort; all educators will finsih the program with 10-12 plans
- Prize for best lesson plan to be used for school supplies
- Application - You must apply to this posting and submit a resume to be considered for the program. Other submissions outside of this process will not be accepted. Educators MUST be employed by a school district or an educational support program within Duquense Light's service territory.
- Submission of a Video Interview - Applicants will be invited to submit a brief video interview answering some basic questions pertinent to the program. Invitations for the video interview will be sent via email.
- Essay Submission - Selected educators will be asked to submit a short essay for final selections.
- Drug & Background Screens - A background check and drug screen (both urine and hair follicle) must be successfully completed.
Deadline to apply - April 30, 2019
Program dates - July 22 - August 2, 2019
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.