Exemplis LLC, headquartered in Cypress, CA, is the leading middle market designer, manufacturer and distributor of branded contract office seating products in North America. The Company sells a broad range of ergonomically designed high-performance executive, task, conference, side and visitor chairs through a network of over 1000 active independent contract office furniture dealers across the continent. Exemplis is one of the fastest growing office furniture companies in North America and the market share leader in the middle segment of a growing addressable seating market. The Company has from inception consistently outperformed the overall office furniture industry and its large publicly held competitors. The company has revenues in the $250 million range and is expecting to double over the next few years.
The company is being built around a strong, collegial and entrepreneurial culture. Performance will be measured and awarded based on results attained. It is important that individuals score high in areas of self-motivation, teaming, communication, leadership and neutral ego. Fit with corporate values is a critical evaluation assessment for Exemplis candidates.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will be responsible for all aspects of the Company’s financial strategy. The CFO will be a key member of the executive leadership team and a catalyst in leading the organization to continuously improve and evolve the way that the business operates, performs and grows.
The CFO will be responsible for the development and execution of the financial strategy that supports the company’s business plans and will oversee all finance, treasury, accounting, planning, tax, risk management and audit activities. The CFO will also oversee financial accounting, system controls and standards and ensure timely financial reporting in accordance with company stakeholder requirements.
On a day-to-day basis, he or she will be a trusted and highly valued advisor to the CEO and other leaders to help drive organizational growth and change to ensure continued top line revenue growth, margin enhancement, debt covenant compliance and ongoing profitability.
The CFO will possess excellent inward and outward looking financial skills. The candidate will enhance the team, analytic tools and rigor that drive profit and cash flow optimization and actively participate in the development and assessment of investment opportunities whether these are acquisitions, start-ups or organic growth opportunities that allow the company to expand its business and increase profitability.
In addition, the CFO will manage the finance function and will effectively recruit, develop, manage, motivate, and retain world-class finance staff, while still maintaining and building on the culture that the company has thoughtfully developed.
The CFO will contribute to setting strategic business priorities, capital allocation, and provide expertise on all financial matters affecting the company.
Key Aspects of the CFO Role
- Participate actively as one of the key leaders in the organization to help develop and execute the corporate strategy and act as a key interface with internal and external stakeholders, including the company’s private equity investor.
- Provide leadership in the finance area and across the organization; be a true financial and strategic contributor – develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the CEO, and the entire senior executive team to lead a proactive approach to the financial function.
- Play a key role in the growth and success of the company, ensuring the appropriate capital structure and balance sheet is in place to fund the company’s growth while establishing key performance indicators to measure success and communicate results to support the business growth. An emphasis on cash flow, profitability and margin focus will be key.
- Manage and direct all financial requirements associated with a significant private equity investor and lending group, including preparation and release of timely, accurate financial statements and all regulatory financial reports; ensure that internal and external accounting and reporting is in accordance with generally accepted principles.
- Provide financial and strategic analysis of growth investments (e.g. acquisitions) and support structuring, negotiating and financing of deals.
- Maintain key relationships with bankers and the broader investment community.
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls.
- Direct the annual financial planning process, rolling forecasting and long range business planning.
- Analyze and provide information to management pertaining to product profitability and margins, cash flow, cost controls and expenses.
- Support and enhance the company culture of collaboration, team work, and excellence.
- Recruit, train and lead a high performance finance team.
Qualifications, Skills and Education
- Should have at least 15 years leadership experience within the finance function of a multi-faceted, dynamic and growth oriented company.
- Highly commercial and business focused. Capable of contributing to the strategy and overall leadership and direction of the company; impeccable judgment.
- Solid knowledge in financial accounting and reporting and of the internal control environment, including auditing and systems design.
- A positive and professional contributor who is able to work effectively in a collegial and team oriented environment with the desire to be a part of a fast-moving, dynamic leadership team.
- Flexibly and Adaptable; Open and inclusive. Active in developing and promoting an engaged workforce.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; relates to a variety of styles and can build trust at all levels of the organization.
- Experienced at motivating individuals toward teamwork and a common purpose; assigning clear authority and accountability; integrating efforts across units and functions; monitoring results; and tackling problems directly.
- Honest and accountable - An individual of the highest personal and professional integrity as demonstrated through strong personal values as well as consistent words and actions.
- Results oriented, self-motivated, disciplined, proactive and gets things done. Can balance the strategic with a hands-on approach with the ability to prioritize and deliver key initiatives
- A strong communicator – capable of articulating the corporate strategy both externally and internally across multiple levels in the organization.
An undergraduate degree is required. A Certified Professional Accounting designation or advanced degree and/or a professional designation (i.e. MBA or CFA) are highly desirable.
Exemplis LLC, headquartered in Cypress, CA, is a leading designer, manufacturer and distributor of branded contract office seating products in North America. The company provides a broad range of task, executive, conference, side, visitor and lounge seating products that are distributed through independent contract office furniture dealers under the SitOnIt Seating™ and IDEON™ brands. Exemplis is the market share leader in the middle segment of a $3.0 billion addressable seating market in North America.
The Company has an installed base of over five million seating products in a wide variety of industry and institutional environments, including High Tech, Health Care, Hospitality, Government, Education, and Manufacturing. Exemplis has delivered strong sales growth and profit margins on a debt-free capital structure. The Company’s profitable growth has been enabled by its build-to-order business model which has allowed the Company to consistently deliver to its target market a value proposition based on choice, speed, quality and performance at affordable prices.
Exemplis' commitment to its customers drives the Company's market and operating strategies. Management has a strong bias to action and a focus on quality, operational excellence and superior financial performance. For more information, please visit http://www.exemplis.com.
Exemplis is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and our company adheres to the equal employment opportunity guidelines set forth by federal, state and local laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national or ethnic origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal civil rights laws that is not related to job requirements.