Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Responsible for the management of the Company’s operational and asset data; including developing analytics, performance reporting, and leveraging cross-integration of data sources to drive operational performance (reduce cost, reduce risk, and improve service levels). Serve as a business liaison and operational coordinator / manager during piloting and implementation of operations-focused technology applications (as developed by the Technology & Innovation department).
- Drive improvements in the quality, quantity, and structure of our operational and asset data. 10%
- Develop and manage a governance process to ensure adequate controls for our operational and asset data. 10%
- Work with the Technology & Innovation department and SCADA community to support the standard implementation and optimization of our Operational Database Management Systems (ODMS). 10%
- Develop value-added data analytics and reporting capabilities focused on operational performance. 20%
- Work with state operating company operations teams, asset management function, the SCADA and GIS communities, and the Technology & Innovation department to develop cross-integration and expanded utilization of data sources (example, leveraging operational data to optimize our asset management program). 25%
- Work with state operating company operations teams and Technology & Innovation during piloting and implementation of operations-focused technology applications to ensure that the correct resources are engaged, change management and communication strategies are developed and implemented, budget and schedule are established, and service level expectations are met. 25%
Knowledge / Skills
- Very strong analytical skills and project management practices required.
- Required software and database management skills (strong competence):
- Operational and Relational Database Management Systems. Preferably SAP and OSIsoft PI
- MS Office 365 applications: Excel (including Analysis Toolpack), Access, SharePoint
- SQL Server Reporting Services and SQL Server tools
- General competence in navigating and working with various utility management tools:
- Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS)
- GIS mapping
- Hydraulic models
- SCADA systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to lead through influence and deliver results while overcoming obstacles to success.
- Excellent planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Business acumen and judgement.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including presentations).
- Six sigma (preferred).
- Working knowledge of company operations, policies, procedures, and business activities including, but not limited to water/wastewater operations, asset management, Information Systems.
- Knowledge of change management methodologies and techniques.
- Working knowledge of new technology and current trends in asset management, water/wastewater water treatment, distribution/collection system management.
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- Bachelors' degree in Finance, Accounting, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Information Systems or similar technology field is required [equivalent work experience will be considered].
- Minimum 7+ years of progressively responsible experience for a utility, industrial, or other data-centric organization focused on business performance, process optimization, and overall data management.
- Must demonstrate experience with:
- Working with cross-functional teams in a culturally and geographically diverse, matrixed organization.
- Challenging and optimizing processes.
- Interacting, presenting to, and serving as a knowledgeable resource to the organization's management team that provides leadership and direction.
- Water / wastewater operations experience preferred.
Join American Water. We care about water. It's what we do.®
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.