Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
A $3,000 SIGNING BONUS IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
Position Summary: Responsible for all activities involving the operations and maintenance of the water treatment and production facilities. Lead responsibilities for water plants and operators. Develops processes for daily staff work functions, oversees collection and use of operational and maintenance information. Leads implementation of Health and Safety program. Demonstrates visible “leadership by example” utilizing participative management involving employees and teamwork whenever possible. Interacts with subordinates, superiors, other agencies, and customers to facilitate smooth system functionality. Reports to and works under the general direction of the General Manager or Senior Operations Supervisor.
- Assists in directing day-to-day activities and schedules of assigned staff and participates in review and evaluation of staff performance related to water systems. Supports General Manager in hiring and disciplinary actions in accordance with company policies
- Accountable for achieving state, federal and local standards for water regulatory requirements. Assures that all Human Resource, Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), EPA, OSHA, Department of Labor, Department of Homeland Security and Department of Defense requirements are followed, checking periodically for compliance.
- Responsible for the maintenance of work records and preventative maintenance records and prepares various reports utilizing the computerized maintenance management system
- Follows and ensures Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies are met.
- Implement and foster the coaching and development of direct employees including: career development, skill development, idea generation, and compliance within respective functional areas
- Effective and respectful verbal and written communication/interactions with employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and all customers.
- Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent or as management assigns.
- Ability to build and sustain a collaborative, high performance team culture that encourages creativity, innovation, empowerment and vision.
- Proactively introduces change into the facility to address emerging issues
- Encourages the effective use of technology to improve facility operations
- Institutionalizes the concepts of continuous quality improvement activities, performance measures and benchmarking.
- Can clearly articulate complex issues both verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical people
- Ability to plan, coordinate and participate the work of employees.
- General knowledge of MS Office products, MS Word and Excel, and be able to learn the use of new software with training assistance
- CMMS Lucity or Hach WIMS a plus
- Ability to plan and present safety training to employees.
- Extensive knowledge related to operation and management of water treatment systems and processes.
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations for areas of responsibility
- High School Education or GED
- Associate Degree a plus
- 8 years progress experience working at a water treatment plant
- Minimum of 6 years as a certified operator
- Minimum of 2 years Certified Operator in Charge
- Possession of KDHE or ABC certification in water treatment IV and or wastewater treatment III or the ability to obtain within 12 months.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
- Employee may be required to work indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions.
- Employee may be required to work where regularly they may be exposed to fumes, dust and odors.
- Employee may be required to work extended hours and maintain on-call assignments. There will be some weekend, holiday, and overtime work as needed.
Travel Requirements: <5%
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.