Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Reporting to the Project Delivery Manager, this position is responsible for managing (through a team as appropriate) all activities concerned with the delivery of several medium to small capital investment projects from inception to completion, the size and importance of which have a significant impact to Company objectives related to Production, Networks, and/or other water resource or operations systems.
Interested candidates with project management experience (design, permitting, and construction) of projects related to supply, treatment, storage, pumping, distribution, transmission of water and wastewater treatment and collection systems highly preferred.
- Monitoring and managing budgets and schedules for several medium to small Capital Investment Projects and programs of moderate scope and complexity. (20%)
- Driving efficiency into project delivery through the monitoring of delivery metrics (unit costs, target costs vs. actual, etc.) and pursuit of more effective delivery and procurement approaches. (5%)
- Delivery of assigned Capital Projects in accordance with policies and procedures set for in the Capital Investment Management (CIM) system to meet asset needs. (15%)
- Asset Owner satisfaction in accordance with the scope of work agreed upon for each project. Interacts with Operations personnel to ensure project delivery program meets operations needs and is coordinated with operations personnel on operational impacts related to project delivery program. (20%)
- Interaction with Technical Services function regarding standards and requirements. Ensures compliance with established regulatory criteria, specifications and standards. (20%)
- Interacts with property group, technical services, and other internal groups and external governmental agencies to coordinate land acquisition, easements, rights of ways, permits, certificates, and other project approvals for assigned projects and programs. (20%)
Knowledge / Skills
- General knowledge of Engineering, Project Management and construction management practices related to planning, design, construction and operations for water resource management facilities, engineering and utility economics and contract administration and construction technology.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, water treatment, developer services and other related water resource management disciplines.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of company procedures, policies and operations.
- Knowledge of employee relations, applicable safety and environmental regulations, federal and state water quality and design regulations and technical standards.
- Strong project management skills (e.g., planning, organizing, directing, monitoring and reporting on project activities).
- Ability to effectively interact with colleagues, governmental agencies, consultants and the general public.
- Project planning skills. Good verbal and written communication skills (e.g., presentation, listening, report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills (tact/diplomacy, persuasion, cooperation and ability to motivate others)
- Computer literacy. Competent in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, flow-charting, project scheduling.
- Financial analysis skill, including budget management and basic accounting knowledge.
Experience / Education
- Minimum 7 years experience in project delivery of major water resources projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field.
20% Travel to support business requirements as necessary.
Licenses & Certifications
Professional Engineering (PE) license preferred.
Join American Water. We care about water. It's what we do.®
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.