American Water is purpose-driven, people-powered, customer-obsessed and the trusted source of everything water. Our Technology and Innovation department works with cutting-edge technologies to create solutions that have an impact on the world. If you’re interested in having the freedom to innovate and do amazing things, with the purpose of making the world a better place, then join our team. Apply now or visit AW Careers to review all of our open positions.
The Kubernetes expert will play a significant role in the definition and implementation of the Kubernetes platform strategy, including architecture, design, and roadmaps. The successful candidate will perform work that is highly complex, varied in nature, and will be responsible for maintaining highly available kubernetes cluster where majority of the latest applications are deployed. The Senior Technologist will serve as the technical expert in docker and container orchestration technologies, monitoring tools for Kubernetes platform and govern the use of these tools. This individual will also ensure to keep up with latest industry trends in these technologies and ingest the newer technologies as and when required.
- Proficient with Kubernetes and ability to design and implement end-to-end container management solution with Kubernetes.
- Experience with development of distributed services targeting Kubernetes with stringent reliability and performance requirements
- Proficient with Kubernetes' internal architecture and operations and sound knowledge of container technologies and the tools and challenges around them
- Thorough knowledge of the overall AWS infrastructure (EC2, S3, VPC, RDS) and experience containerizing existing applications
- Experience in container architecture, Docker universal packaging, container orchestration and Micro services architecture pattern.
- Experience with setting up a Kubernetes cluster and deploying applications including cloud automation with GCE, AWS, Azure or others
- Proficient with networking in Kubernetes, monitoring and logging with
- Kubernetes, service discovery, deployments, monitoring, scheduling, Knowledge of continuous integration via tools like Jenkins
- Knowledge of messaging Queues like Kafka, activemq, RabbitMQ, etc.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Self-starter with ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with a keen desire to learn and expand depth of knowledge
- Good Collaboration, prioritization and team working skills
- Should be able to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment with virtual teams
- Should be able to handle business calls and gathering requirements
- Should be a fast learner with good attention to detail
- Proficient in Design and development of micro services with Spring Boot framework interacting through a combination of API’s and message brokers using Core Java, J2EE , OOAD, JSP, XML, REST/SOAP web services, Servlets, using Linux OS.
- Develop system strategies and design infrastructure necessary to support including Continuous integration and deployment processes
- Active participation in design and implementation of projects featuring a high degree of technical complexity and/or scalability and performance implications.
- Proficient in working with various technologies like Java/JEE, Core Java, Servlets, Spring-3.0, JSF-2.0, Struts, JSP, Ajax, XML, Web Services and Design Patterns.
- Experienced with different version management software such as Subversion, GIT
- Development experience with Unit testing, Mocking frameworks like Junit, EasyMock, Mockito and
- Experience in reengineering, migration, continuous integration and delivery (CICD), EAI, OOAD, optimization and security.
- 4 - 6 years of Architect experience in designing the Framework for Micro services with Docker containers and implementing using open source technologies.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or relevant field of Engineering with a strong academic record
- Relevant Docker and/or Kubernetes certification is desired.
Join American Water. We care about water. It's what we do.®
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.