Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
The Senior Software Engineer assists with all technical aspects of line of business product solutions including custom code, third party applications, and integrations. They help evaluate technical alternatives and feasibility and produce functional/technical designs that offer the best solution to the problem. They can act as the technical expert during iterative development cycles reviewing teams’ work product for quality control and develop complex solutions across varied data sources to provide creative strategies to solve customer problems. The Senior Software Engineer helps identify and implement solutions in conjunction with, or independent of, a development team and collaborates with teams to establish new product design objectives, including systems requirements and validation criteria. The Senior Software Engineer works collaboratively within the Customer Enablement teams to push product solutions to address customer needs. They also provides hands-on assistance to developers. The Senior Software Engineer can often conceive and create mold breaking design solutions and deliver brilliant work in a scrappy, fast paced, customer-oriented environment. They are capable of learning the customer and their business. They know technology and how to enable it. The Senior Software Engineer connects technology with the user, bringing both together in unconventional, innovative ways. We are looking for an experienced individual that can bring the passion to continuously improve architecture, drive innovation, and stay on top of technology trends and mentor team members.
Application and Web Development:
- Create technology solutions for business users by developing, implementing, and maintaining commerical off-the-shelf software solutions, internet/intranet applications, and custom developed systems. (30%)
- Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work; leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work; and mentoring and developing team members.
- Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making a meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high-levels of quality for the team.
- Perform as a team of strategic, creative, and technical professionals who partner with our clients to solve business problems and meet meaningful business goals. (15%)
- Act as an expert in a particular field of knowledge [this may be a business/functional area and/or a particular technology] and provide detailed information and advice as necessary in that specialization in order to achieve business outcomes.
- Develop and/or promote technical solutions which support the business requirements within their area of expertise. Be accountable for specific deliverables in relation to software or web development and/or support.
- As needed, lead the technical activity within their area of specialization. (30%)
Product Owner Support:
- Support the Head of Technology Enablement/Customer Enablement in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance.
- Engage closely with clients to understand what business objectives they want to accomplish through technology enablement and then work with the Customer Enablement team of developers and designers to bring those ideas to life. (15%)
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Architect solutions around Kubernetes with an eye toward technical needs & issues (automation/self-service, security, identity & access, data protection, CICD security, HA, monitoring, scalability, self-healing, etc.)
- Understand the Application Performance and ability to recommend Hardware requirements
- Understand and Implement Alerting/Monitoring practices in code
- Support the DevOps environment and continued progress toward automated deployment using Puppet or Chef or Ansible.
- Stay in par with Industry leading technologies and provide recommendations on the same
- Active participation in project and team design meetings.
- Work effectively with client support and implementation consultants to resolve application issues.
- Resolve complex technical Issues.
- Perform under minimal supervision on significantly complex assignments.
- Acts a solution owner and product owner for engineering enablement team.
- Architect, Design and implement automation tools for continuous delivery.
- Point of contact for technical expertise for team members.
- Understand and recommend security practices
- Understand the Application Performance and ability to recommend Hardware requirements
Knowledge / Skills
- Strong knowledge of digital technologies and applicability for the water and wastewater industries focused primarily in one technology specialty area
- Knowedge of a small set of interdisciplinary technology specialities [e.g. data, mobility, GIS, collaboration, infrastructure] and/or strong knowledge of a particular speciality area
- Demonstrated ability to apply these technology specialities to solve practical problems in a high-tech development environment with multifunction teams for small to medium, complex systems with some guidance.
- Good decision-making ability, balancing what is right with what is realistic
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence and to deliver results through others while overcoming obstacles to success
- Possesses a high energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and an ability to work well under pressure
- Possesses a curiosity and a passion towards engaging the imagination of senior level executives in grasping and enabling the fundamentals of change
- Demonstrated ability to work and team with a multitude of different people from various lines of business as well as within Technology & Innovation
- Good verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver conference presentations
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while simultaneously maintaining the "big picture" view"
- Self-motivated individual who works well in a team environment.
- Candidate must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- 3+ years experience working in the technology field required with an additional 1+ years dedicated to the specialty area as a systems analyst or equivalent role.
- Experience with the water utility industry is highly desired, but not required.
- Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Information Systems or similar technology field is required [equivalent work experience will be considered]. Master's degree is preferred.
- Appropriate technical certification in speciality area preferred.
- 10+ years of development experience in a senior or lead role required.
- Deep understanding, design experience and team mentoring in .Net, C#,IIS, Windows and WCF Services.
- Experience in developing in C#, Python and Ruby
- Experience with Chef and/or other CM tools.
- Experience with CI tools such as Jenkins Git and Artifactory.
- Experience with automation & management of the Kubernetes stack including network overlays, logging, and monitoring, Docker security scanning etc.
- Subject matter expert with Docker.
- SME on infrastructure services - DNS, DHCP, network routing, security group, firewall management, etc
- Experience with Runbook automation and design,.
- Experience in databases such as: SQL Server or Oracle.
- Familiarity with Application Performance monitoring tools is a plus
- Experience in Agile Development Methodology is a plus
- ElasticSearch experience is a plus.
As necessary, up to 50%
Join American Water. We care about water. It's what we do.®
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.