Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
The Scientist assists in solving complex problems in a scientific, technology or engineering domain [e.g., engineering, chemistry, microbiology, waste water treatment, software, machine learning etc.) related to Amwater's business areas. They assist in the creation and maintenance of a research and innovation agenda and roadmap to support AmWater Business needs. The scientist primarily supports research projects and contributes to the development of new products and applications in a chosen domain area. The Scientist adheres to research standards and the governance framework set by leadership. The Scientist helps create prototypes of an inventive solution, service or product. They contribute to research articles and papers relevant to their domain.
Assist with the development of analytical methods for chemical contaminants of concern at our Belleville, IL research facility, co-located with the American Water Central Laboratory. The position will be instrument- and sensor-focused for methods development but with a strong push to participate in development of the research agenda and pursue new projects and ideas. The ideal candidate will have an interest in research and a background in analysis of environmental samples, mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography and/or gas chromatography, and knowledge of environmental engineering and water/wastewater treatment process.
- Executes research and innovation projects within one’s own domain; tracks project budgets and costs.
- Participates in project progress meetings.
- Assists in preparing technical information and major findings of research and innovation projects into clear, comprehensive written weekly or monthly reports, research reports.
- Contributes to articles in peer-reviewed journals and presentations in national and local conferences.
- Contributes to the development of new products and solutions by researching, developing prototypes or features of a product.
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and happenings in one’s chosen domain.
- Participates in discussions regarding the research and innovation roadmap for a specific domain.
- Partner with the operations as needed.
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- Bachelors and/or 5 years’ experience, Masters and/or 2 years’ experience
Masters or PhD in engineering, environmental science, chemistry, microbiology, computer science, mathematics, or related area preferred
Join American Water. We care about water. It's what we do.®
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.