Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
A $3,000 SIGNING BONUS IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
Position Summary: Responsible for all activities involving the operations and maintenance and repair of the water distribution and wastewater collection system. Limited supervisory responsibilities for General Maintenance Workers, contractors, technicians, and laborers. Reports to and works under the general direction of the General Manager or Senior Operations Supervisor.
- The position requires someone with the ability to build positive relationships and work effectively with diverse groups, with a strong commitment to ethical practices, diversity, equality, and inclusion
- Prepares, reviews, evaluates, revises, establishes, repair and maintenance plans. Implements American Water policies and procedures. Applies water distribution and the wastewater collection system operation plans resulting in Safe, Compliant, Reliable, and Profitable operations
- Directs the day-to-day activities and schedules staff activities. Participates in the review and evaluation of staff performance, related to water and wastewater systems operations. Follows company discipline policy when needed
- Follows and implements Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies
- Implements and fosters the coaching and development of employees, including brainstorming innovative operational ideas.
- Performs work on water distribution system and wastewater collection system. Maintains work records and preventative maintenance records and prepares various reports as assigned.
- Participates in the preparation of Capital and Operations and Maintenance Budgets. Reviews and approves limited expenditures.
- Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and supervise the work of employees.
- General knowledge of MS Office products, MS Word and Excel, and be able to learn the use of new software with training assistance. CMMS Lucity or Hach WIMS a plus
- Ability to plan and present safety training to employees.
- Employee may be required to work extended hours and maintain on-call assignments. There will be some weekend, holiday, and overtime work as needed.
- Equipment Operator- Backhoe, skid steer, Jet Truck, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of the objectives, equipment, and operations of water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
- Extensive knowledge of methods and materials of water and wastewater system construction and maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of the layout, location and equipment characteristics of water and wastewater systems.
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations for areas of responsibility
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED, at least five (5) years progressively responsible experience in supervision of operations, maintenance and administration of water and/or wastewater systems or treatment. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for experience.
- Associate Degree a plus
- Possession of KDHE or ABC certification in water treatment IV and or wastewater treatment III or the ability to obtain within 12 months. Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid KS state CDL driver’s license
Work Environment: Employee may be required to work indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions. Employee may be required to work where regularly they may be exposed to fumes, dust and odors.
Travel Requirements: <5%
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.