PPC is the global leader in connective technology. PPC's award-winning connectors, cables and accessories are used by cable systems, satellite networks and wireless businesses around the world. PPC is proud of its worldwide reputation for technical leadership and innovation. We hold more patents in connector technology than any other company in the world. Seeking out network issues or recurring problems in network components as technology advances ensures that our solutions exceed our customers' and the industry's expectations for value, quality and reliability.
PPC is just one of the many brands that make up Belden’s impressive portfolio. Belden is a multi-billion dollar global organization of 10,000 talented people that supports the mission-critical network infrastructure and audio visual broadcast needs of many of the world’s best-known brands, placing us at the heart of the global transformation to a truly connected world. We are seeking driven, results-oriented team members to help us continue to grow and succeed.
The Test Lab Technician (Fiber Optic Technician / Lab Technician) will work in the R&D Engineering Lab and will be responsible for testing the optical, mechanical and environmental parameters of a wide range of connector products and technology (Fiber Optic Cable).
- Tests prototype product for optical communications performance, consistent with engineering and other specifications.
- Tests prototype product (Fiber Optics) for mechanical performance and durability.
- Tests products (Fiber Optics) environmental parameters; including Ultra Violet, Salt fog, vibration, thermal cycling.
- Assists with equipment set-up, lab configurations, equipment troubleshooting as well as implementing and following test lab processes.
- Assists with the documentation, calibration, trouble shooting and/or preventative maintenance on lab equipment.
- Reads and interprets schematics, blueprints, printouts and specifications as needed to complete tests to determine the functionality and performance of products.
- Operates test device through prescribed sequences, reads and records test data, informing supervisor of deviations or variations not indicated or anticipated.
- Works with engineers in the debugging and troubleshooting of new and existing products.
- Compiles data and graphically represents findings as required.
- Provides support to the engineering staff in the test lab on an as needed basis.
- Maintains work area and equipment in a clean and orderly fashion, abiding by company rules and safety regulations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
Education / Licensure / Experience:
- Two year technical degree or certification a plus.
- 2 to 5 years of experience handling fiber optic test equipment and fiber optic cable.
- Prior relevant validation test lab environment experience with optical communications systems, including setting up tests within environmental chambers preferred.
- Experience using electronic instruments to measure fiber jumpers.
- Lab View Programming experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including interpersonal skills to effectively deal with individuals at all levels.
- Well-developed organization skills, including the ability to handle many details and multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with the ability to utilize precision hand tools.
- Proficient computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel as it relates to report generation.
- Excellent project management skills with proven follow-through with commitments.
- Ability to maintain good records in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively in a close team environment in a culturally diverse workplace.
- Work is normally performed in a test lab environment with exposure to dangerous simulated elements and subject to fluctuations in temperature.
- Physical requirements needed to perform the job are eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to work with small parts, precision hand tools, operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other test lab and office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate documents. The ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time, and the ability to lift, push and pull up to 25 pounds of material.
At PPC we trust in our people, products, and direction which allow us to cultivate a winning environment bringing us to where we are today. As the industry leader, we not only value the customer, but we make it a point to treat each employee like family. By fostering a good work-life balance, offering training opportunities, education assistance, excellent medical benefits, wellness initiatives, and much more, we attract and retain high-level talent to help us grow our business. A career at PPC is much more than a job; it’s an opportunity.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job.
This company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability, or protected veteran status.