PPC is the global leader in connective technology. PPC's award-winning connectors, cables and accessories are used by cable systems, satellite networks and wireless businesses around the world. PPC is proud of its worldwide reputation for technical leadership and innovation. We hold more patents in connector technology than any other company in the world. Seeking out network issues or recurring problems in network components as technology advances ensures that our solutions exceed our customers' and the industry's expectations for value, quality and reliability.
PPC is just one of the many brands that make up Belden’s impressive portfolio. Belden is a multi-billion dollar global organization of 10,000 talented people that supports the mission-critical network infrastructure and audio visual broadcast needs of many of the world’s best-known brands, placing us at the heart of the global transformation to a truly connected world. We are seeking driven, results-oriented team members to help us continue to grow and succeed.
PPC (a Belden Company), is now hiring a Product Line Manager for their newest fiber cable line (fiber to home demarcation products.) This position will be located out of our Syracuse, NY office (remote and/or relocation assistance may be available for candidates that aren’t local) and will require 35% travel (25% domestic and 10% international.)
The Product Line Manager (PLM) will be responsible for profitable growth at the product line level or their assigned market segment. The PLM will evaluate, plan, execute, and monitor initiatives to achieve growth and profitability objectives. They will lead and manage the new product development process and manage the product portfolio on an ongoing basis. The PLM will provide support to field sales and improve the technical and commercial performance of the subject product lines. The PLM will be responsible for tracking the product lifecycle and industry/competitive dynamics in order to effectively manage the product portfolio. The PLM will develop and communicate value propositions that prove customer value and grow profitable sales within assigned market segments.
Responsibilities of our Product Line Manager will include:
- Develops quantifiable strategies for profitable growth at the product line level that support the company’s overall goals and values. Participates in the strategy development process.
- Researches and understands price/value in each respective segment and optimizes gross profit margin by driving cost reductions, adjusting price, or exiting markets.
- Leads the new product development process and takes responsibility for quantifying market value and financial viability of proposed products. Applies project management tools as appropriate.
- Segments markets and cross-functionally develops value propositions supported by market research/data and all other functions within the organization.
- Monitors operation expenses and researches ways to reduce costs while maintaining product quality.
- Manages the product portfolio by charting product life cycle, adding to or trimming the offering based on market requirements and competitive landscape.
- Establishes, manages, and provides the information required for business operations such as forecasting, budgets, inventory requirements, product structure and hierarchies, and commercial policies.
- Works closely with the Marketing Department to develop, fund and execute, ROI-based integrated marketing communications campaigns that influence target audiences and grow sales. Develops and implements a brand strategy as appropriate.
- Works closely with quality personnel to review product consistency while monitoring scrap rates to determine trends and areas of improvement.
- Develops innovative methods and materials to train customers on the product and to train our sales force on how to sell the associated value proposition.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and competitor activity, anticipate competitor responses and manage the product line accordingly.
- Encourages and promotes operating in a continuous improvement environment.
- Communicates with research and development as well as product management personnel to develop new product strategies.
- Works with purchasing manager to develop and improve supplier relationships.
- Communicates job expectations to employees, monitors, and appraises employee performance to reduce department turnover.
- Provides opportunities for staff self-development and empowerment.
- Interviews and makes hiring decision for new staff.
- Handles employee counseling, annual performance reviews, and termination of employees as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience for our Product Line Manager include:
- HS Diploma with some college coursework. Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Engineering, Marketing or field relevant to the primary functions of the role highly preferred.
- 3 or more years of B2B product/portfolio management experience.
- Prior successful experience overseeing and driving product development and new product launches.
- Previous experience giving professional sales presentations to senior level company officials and line workers.
- Proven experience with a distribution and direct selling model and experience in the overall commercial works of sales with sales driven individuals.
- Prior product management experience to include pricing and capital budgeting experience, inventory turns, SIOP (Sales Inventory Operations Planning) experience, sales budgeting and sales plan development, and experience building a value story.
- Desired experience includes prior use of SAP and previous digital marketing experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for our Product Line Manager:
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning date into actionable insights.
- Strong knowledge and proven use of product management tools such as market and product plans, timelines, marketing research, product validity and financial models, and capital budgeting.
- High level of professional integrity and discretion when dealing with colleagues and senior management internally, and with third parties on behalf of the company.
- Strong business awareness with the understanding of buy in and the importance of establishing and maintaining relationships in the market.
- Ability to define strategy with clarity, conciseness, and some sensitivity to win over and gain the confidence of others.
- Strong data gathering skills and analysis with the ability to effectively present findings.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- Proficient computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite, SAP, and statistical analysis software.
- Strong decision making skills, as well as the ability to be assertive and make the right decision under difficult circumstances.
- Reliable and self-motivated/self-starter attitude that can lead by example.
- Maintains a high sense of urgency and thoroughness while upholding a high service attitude.
- Strong analytical skills as well as experience in analyzing and optimizing profit margin and sales performance and spotting trends, opportunities and threats to profitable growth.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to lead and influence at all levels of an organization.
- Strong attention to detail and superior project management skills while performing in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to uphold quality standards while maintaining a sense of urgency within a high-volume, fast-paced, production environment.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, willingness to interface with others, and ability to listen to what others have to say, as well as direct and work well on a cohesive team.
- Ability to look long term and anticipate business needs while maintaining focus on current and established priorities.
At PPC we trust in our people, products, and direction which allow us to cultivate a winning environment bringing us to where we are today. As the industry leader, we not only value the customer, but we make it a point to treat each employee like family. By fostering a good work-life balance, offering training opportunities, education assistance, excellent medical benefits, wellness initiatives, and much more, we attract and retain high-level talent to help us grow our business. A career at PPC is much more than a job; it’s an opportunity.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job.
This company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability, or protected veteran status.