The NAM communications and brand strategy team is a nationally recognized division that knows how to break through the noise and drive a message. Our team consists of savvy digital strategists, experienced spokespeople and creative storytellers who use different channels, tools and tactics to drive news in support of manufacturers’ agenda. Our innovative campaigns and top talent have been hailed by publications like PR Week, PR News and Bulldog Reporter as the gold standard in public relations, communications and advocacy.
We are seeking a senior director, strategic communications to drive and implement communications strategy for numerous high-profile issue advocacy campaigns, run a first-class war room and rapid response operation and direct the day-to-day operations of the media relations team.
This requires someone who can collaborate across the organization to marry the NAM’s goals and messaging with a dynamic media cycle using a digital-first strategy. The senior director will collaborate with the NAM’s digital team to develop and execute innovative strategies aimed at driving and responding to the news of the day. The candidate must have strong drive, good judgment, agility and discipline to juggle multiple internal and external clients, projects and deadlines.
This is a management position that requires strong communications skills and an ability to lead and energize a team. The successful candidate will have on-the-record experience, background in digital strategy, familiarity with emerging communications platforms, management experience and a successful track record of working with reporters, producers, bookers and online influencers.
- Manage the day-to-day tactical execution of the organization’s media relations and digital communications campaigns and programs, including issue advocacy campaigns and rapid response.
- Manage a team of strategic communications professionals responsible for carrying out the NAM’s communications strategy.
- Develop and execute a robust rapid response strategy using traditional earned media and digital/social media tools and tactics.
- Build and manage relationships with members of the media and online influencers.
- Effectively manage a story from start to finish.
- With skill and speed, write and edit press releases, social media and web copy, blogs, opinion editorials, letters to the editor and briefing memos.
- Demonstrate an ability to translate information about complex issues for broad audiences quickly and succinctly.
- Serve as staff support to NAM president and CEO and other senior executives during press events, which may include travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, political science, marketing, English or related discipline
- 5–10 years of communications experience, with emphasis on digital strategy, media relations and issue advocacy
- Experience running successful issue advocacy campaigns, implementing a rapid response operation and managing a media relations team
- Robust knowledge of the social media and digital landscape; experience applying this knowledge in the media relations profession
- Experience and familiarity with both legislative and executive branches preferred, but not required
- Collaborative style and demonstrated effective written and verbal communications skills essential
- Experience interacting with and briefing high-ranking officials and executives
- Ability to work as part of a team and handle pressure in a deadline-driven 24-hour news cycle
- Ability to travel domestically supporting NAM executives.
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is the largest manufacturing association in the United States and one of the nation’s most influential advocates for manufacturing. By joining the NAM, you become part of a spirited and dynamic team that is driven to succeed. We recognize and reward our staff with competitive pay and annual performance based bonus programs. We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, life, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, SmarTrip, and a 401(k) Salary Deferral plan with employer match and contributions, vacation and sick leave, complimentary on-site gym access and healthy snacks in the break room. Become part of a fast paced team passionate about keeping the United States the world leader in manufacturing.
Get involved. Make an impact. Join the NAM team.