Rich’s has been able to pull off something rare in the business world: a culture that successfully blends the latest business practices with family values. That means our associates are able to work for a great company while also benefiting from a work environment that fosters world class professionalism combined with family intimacy. Our benefit offerings are reflective of this unique blend of Life, Work and Family .
In this role, you will work closely with the Break Through Innovation Marketing team to develop and commercialize new product and process breakthrough innovations in the Bakery, Pizza and Dessert Categories.
New Product & Process Development (60%)
- Participates in ideation sessions with marketing and others to develop innovation concepts.
- Prepares prototype products using research lab, pilot lab, manufacturing facilities and equipment, as required.
- Administers and coordinates assignments, small projects or segments of larger projects, assisting in defining project objectives, organizing and prioritizing tasks and conducting necessary experiments and analyses.
- Interfaces frequently with various internal departments (e.g. Marketing, Procurement, Engineering, QA and Operations) and customers in accomplishing project milestones.
- Selects and evaluates raw materials for experiments
- Sets-up, operates and maintains pilot lab and research lab equipment.
- Designs and conducts basic shelf life and storage studies, including product and package performance evaluations under various conditions.
- Demonstrates breakthrough innovation products to staff and/or customers.
- Performs basic measurements and statistical analysis.
Technical Support (30%)
- Presents results of basic experiments and recommendations to various groups, both internally and externally.
- Orders materials for producing and evaluating basic prototypes
- Develops solutions to routine technical problems by applying basic technical knowledge and experience.
- Maintains accurate, up to date records, laboratory notebooks and computer database
- Prepare and document all plant validation trials according to department protocol.
- Ensures the work environment is sanitary, safe, and orderly.
- Maintains a sanitary, safe and orderly work environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or MS in Food Science
- 1+ years of product formulation and process development experience, preferably in a bakery or processed grains
- Broad understanding of food science (ingredient functionality, shelf life, nutrition, etc.)
- General understanding of process technologies and process parameters in the lab and in the plant. (mix methods/times, baking temps/times, rework methods, etc.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply the scientific method, principles, on new formula and processing technologies.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to compare and distinguish differences in ingredients, materials, etc. through taste, smell, touch and visual inspection
- Manual dexterity required to operate various equipment such as scales, balances, etc.
- Solid PC proficiency (Excel, Word, database, statistical software) and the ability to create spreadsheets, computer analysis, report writing. Proficient with relevant software tools (e.g. PLM, etc.)
- Ability to use database, presentation and project management software
- Experienced in the development of innovative concepts through commercialization
- Comfortable with creating clarity from abstract ambiguity in terms of developing unique executions against general innovation concepts.
- Hands on ability to create innovative prototypes, for customer and consumer testing.
- Equally adept at doing formulation work in the lab and process scale up work in the plant, using existing or new processes
- Product development experience in the bakery or closely related area. Additional experience in other food categories is a plus
- Effective in cross functional teams
- Comfortable working rapidly on multiple projects simultaneously, with shifting priorities, associated with the front end of innovation.
- Effective at leveraging both internal and external resources, for innovation ideation, formulation and processing.
- Must be a quick learning with regard to understanding new technologies, concepts and trends.
- Must be able to connect the dots, to link technology with consumer insights to create breakthrough innovation with insulation from competition.
- Must have a true passion for innovation.
- Travels up to 20% of time
Rich Products Corporation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Rich Products Corporation complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.