The City of Takoma Park is a great place to work. The City offers an excellent benefits package. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park is seeking enthusiastic part-time Recreation Program Assistants (Sports) to work for the Recreation Department. There are multiple positions available. The Recreation Department offers a number of leagues along with a variety of programs throughout the year. The following seasonal leagues are offered by the Recreation Department:
Winter Season: Youth basketball and youth futsal
Spring Season: Adult softball
Summer Season: Tball and both youth and adult basketball leagues
This position requires the ability to work evenings and weekends. The typical work hours vary and depend on the season. Scheduled hours can be Monday through Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and/or Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. This position is not subject to membership in the AFSCME union. Hourly rate is commensurate on experience and ranges from $11.50 to $12.50 per hour. The first screening of applications will occur on Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
Selected candidates are responsible for supervising the gym and field when necessary, and could hold an advanced position of timekeeper, scorekeeper and referee at various fields and school gymnasiums within the Takoma Park area. Typical duties include the following:
- Recording game statistics and/or keeping time for the sports programs
- Providing customer service, directing leadership, and general supervision of the sports leagues
- Opening, closing and supervising gym facilities
- Providing a clean, safe and secure environment
- Maintaining and operating the proper use of equipment and supplies by participants
- Maintaining proper forms, creating reports, and providing information for programs
- Enforcing facility, equipment, and program rules and regulations; implementing appropriate disciplinary action(s) with participants when necessary
- Monitoring patrons and ensuring rules and guidelines are followed
- Assisting with the general public, residents and participants and answering any necessary questions about the program
- Administering first-aid, if necessary
- Completing other duties as assigned
Related Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to provide mature leadership, have fun, be flexible and share enthusiasm
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing work
- Ability to communicate with the general public, program participants, supervisor(s), and fellow employees
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Ability to interact effectively with all age levels, abilities and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Similar educational and/or professional experience in a related position or field for one to two years that provides an understanding of basic sporting practices (such as sports knowledge, officiating and/or scorekeeping)
- Must be at least 16 years of age and have reliable transportation
- Must be able to obtain First Aid and CPR training
- Must be able to carry 50 lbs.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.