The City of Takoma Park, known for its rich and diverse arts community, is looking for an Intern seeking real-world experience in the field of arts and humanities.
During this 12- month internship, the selected candidate will assist in the coordination of the City's We are Takoma cultural series; organizing and staffing various arts and humanities events and playing a key role in the promotion and marketing of the series. Current series offerings include performances, poetry readings, exhibits, film screenings and lectures. Our offices are located in the Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Avenue – a 10-minute walk from the Takoma Metro Station and on multiple bus lines.
The selected candidate will work an average of 20 hours per week. The candidate must be able to work special events that may include some evenings and weekends. Pay varies depending upon level of educational attainment ($14 for under graduate degree candidates, $17 per hour for graduate degreee candidates). Applications will be accepted until Friday, March 8, 2019. The first screening date will be Monday, March 11, 2019.
Qualified candidates must either have graduated with a bachelor's or master’s degree within the past two years, or be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in arts management or a related field such as public relations, communications or marketing.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Graphic arts skills, design sensibility and familiarity with Adobe suite and other design programs such as Canva
- Facility with a variety of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; Word and Excel skills of particular importance
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivation; ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to lift 25 lbs., climb ladders, and operate hydraulic lift with instruction
Responsibilities include, though are not limited to the following:
- Development of material for weekly and monthly electronic and print newsletters
- Creation and distribution of printed promotional posters and brochures
- Social media postings; generation of content, creation of graphics or videos, and processing and editing of photographs
- Development, design and production of programs for events
- Coordination of scheduled events; verification of arrangements with performers
- Preparation of reception and performance facilities; clean-up and set-up
- Preparation of gallery space; installation and de-installation of exhibits
- Serve as house manager for performances; assisting tech crew as needed
- Assist in development of content and production of monthly radio program
- Research and data collection
The following materials must be included with your submission. They can be uploaded under "Documents." Submissions that do not include these documents will not be considered.
- Cover letter
- Two writing samples (maximum length two pages per sample)
- Three samples of work illustrative of graphic skills
- Unofficial College Transcript
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.