The City of Takoma Park is a great place to work. The City offers an excellent benefits package. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park seeks a Human Resources Director to provide leadership to the Department and HR support to City operations. Reporting to the City Manager's Office, the incumbent will direct the City's human resources functions with past experience focusing efforts on performance management, union negotiations, compliance, training, budgeting and risk management. The successful candidate will understand the intricacies of local government and be a creative and strategic thinker with the ability to lead programs to fruition.
- Ensures the effective operation of the department and services provided to staff and external customers; oversees the activities of department staff; ensures the accuracy of information in files and the payroll system.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, and codes.
- Consults with and advises department heads, the City Manager and the Deputy City Manager regarding policies and best practices.
- Develops annual personnel budget for the City, including salaries, benefits and workers compensation; develops departmental budget recommendations and manages approved funds.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures; recommends additions or amendments to the City Code.
- Manages employee relations for all staff; coaches staff and management; provides recommendations to staff on how to address concerns, strategic planning, and performance issues.
- Develops, implements and manages the City’s risk management and loss control program.
- Oversees recruitment; spearheads executive recruitment.
- Makes decisions regarding the City’s benefits programs; administers Police Employees’ Retirement Plan.
- Develops, implements and conducts training programs.
- Administers and updates the City’s compensation plan; determines best options in consultation with the City Manager and Deputy City Manager.
- Serves as management member for union negotiations.
Knowledge and Skills Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of human resources management principles, practices and procedures including those related to benefits management, employee compensation, performance management, and employee and labor relations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of risk management and occupational health and safety principles.
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of the structure, functions and operations of City departments.
- Skill in management and supervision.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in mediating and resolving disputes.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require eight to ten years of related experience.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a master's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- SHRM-SCP certification
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.