The City of Takoma Park is a great place to work. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park is looking for a graduate planning intern who is seeking experience in community planning, transportation planning, GIS-mapping, public outreach, and more.
The City of Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction in Montgomery County, Maryland bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George’s County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active citizenry, Takoma Park is known for its progressive housing and environmental policies, historic, tree-lined neighborhoods, independent businesses, and rich arts community. Our planning staff is small and interns play an important role in the City’s efforts to improve the quality of life for its residents and take the lead on projects. City government offices are located in the Takoma Park Community Center, at 7500 Maple Avenue - a ten minute walk from the Takoma Metro Station, on multiple bus lines, and accessible by bike and Capital Bike Share.
The planning internship opportunity is open for qualified graduate candidates. Hours can vary from 30 to 40 hours per week, for up to possibly 12 months. The pay rate is $17.00 per hour.
- Graduated with a master’s degree within the past two years, or be currently enrolled in a graduate program in urban and regional planning, community planning, architecture, urban design, urban studies, economics, real estate development, geography, or other related field.
- A strong interest in revitalization, smart growth, sustainable transportation, or redevelopment.
- Flexibility and desire to work on varying planning projects as necessary.
- Strong writing, digital communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with GIS mapping and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
In addition, highly preferred candidates will possess the following:
- Experience with Adobe CS
- Foreign language skills (especially Spanish, French, Amharic)
Please include the following with your submission:
- University transcript (an unofficial transcript is acceptable)
- Two page writing sample (may include excerpts written in different styles)
Upload under "Documents." Submissions without these documents will not be considered. Additional documents (design portfolio, map products, etc.) may also be submitted.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.