If you are an energetic Medical Librarian who enjoys being part of a collaborative and talented team then a rewarding career with Northeast Georgia Health System is where you want to be!
Provide library services which meet the informational, educational, and research related needs of NGHS, Inc. staff, Physicians, mid-level Practitioners, nursing and allied healthcare professionals, students and other patrons in need of health or medically related information.
ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science
One year experience in a medical library preferred.
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, hospital staff, and Physicians via excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills. Strong public service orientation, initiative, flexibility and ability to adapt and work creatively in a rapidly changing environment.
2. Knowledge of current health information applications, trends, and terminology for health professional needs.
3. Strong organizational skills, attention to details and ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
4. Strong analytical and decision-making skills. Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and within a collaborative team.
5. Proficient in computer and software operations, integrated library systems, medical databases, Microsoft Office, Email.
6. Basic library technical skills (cataloging, classification, book and journal processing; computer skills) and knowledge of issues and trends in reference services.
7. Standard library technical skills for collection development, serials management, acquisitions & cataloging
Essential- Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Provide reference services to healthcare professionals, independent practitioners, students and consumers utilizing a variety of medical, biomedical. and academic databases or collection resources.
2. Assist in the maintenance of print, online and audiovisual collection materials to ensure currency and that the resources support mission and vision of NGHS.
3. Assist with library's collection development for quality, accuracy, subject coverage, & currency; periodically reviewing materials for replacements to support mission & vision of NGHS
4. Maintain accurate electronic library catalog and shelf list. Assist in the annual review of subscriptions of periodicals, select books and other materials based upon utilization data and organizational needs.
5. Periodically discard outdated materials.
6. Maintain library organization in accordance with the National Library of Medicine classification system.
7. Conduct orientation and training for hospital staff, physicians and other patrons as requested. Participate in appropriate community and/or organizational health and education activities.
8. Provide orientational and instructional training for hospital staff, physicians, and other patrons as requested in the use of library resources and services. Participate in appropriate community and/or organizational health & education activities.
9. Provide print and online medical/health information literature searches and interlibrary loan services for medical and hospital staff and consumers.
10. Provide reference services and literature searches to hospital staff, physicians, & patrons in the community using Evidence-Based resources
11. Conduct user surveys; evaluate resources and need for expanding/enhancing services and resources.
12. Operate with the approved budget for acquisitions, services and supplies and marketing/promotional activities for the library. Work to insure responsible stewardship over services & resources supplied by library; monitor the operational condition of all equipment & supplies
13. Develop, review and/or revise library policies and procedures every three years or as needed.
14. Record statistics of circulation, interlibrary loans, Medline Searches and other library utilizations.
15. Participate in the Continuing Medical Education Program and serve as a member of the CME and Library Committee.
16. Maintain library website. Submit information regarding new acquisitions, services and library promotions to medical staff via appropriate communication methods.
17. Promote services and use of library within the community via various community outreach and marketing methods.
18. Assist in the adherence to DNV GL, Medical Association of Georgia, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education and other regulatory or accrediting standards via the provision of services and resources to support those standards and organizational initiatives.
19. Maintain current knowledge of professional resources and trends via participation in professional library associations and attendance at approved professional conferences.
More Awards and Accolades.
Ranked in the Top 10% in the nation by CareChex® for Stroke Care, Cancer Care, Pneumonia Care and Surgical Care, the System is the recipient of numerous accolades including:
- Georgia's #1 Surgery Hospital by CareChex®
- Georgia's #1 Heart Hospital by CareChex® - 12 years in a row
- Georgia's #1 Women's Hospital by CareChex®
- Georgia's #1 Pulmonary Hospital
- One of Metro Atlanta's Top Workplaces for the 7th year in a row
The Blue Ridge Mountains are less than a 30-minute drive and Lake Sidney Lanier is next door. Whatever setting suits your mood, you'll find it right here.
- 47 public parks
- 8 championship golf courses
- 34 tennis courts
- 10 marinas
Atlanta, with its abundance of sports including the Atlanta Braves, Hawks, Falcons, and Georgia Swarm, as well as entertainment attractions, is less than an hour to the south.
We value diversity and always hire equally and equitably.