Tervita is a leading North American environmental and energy services company. Our 4,000 dedicated employees partner with natural resource and industrial companies who share our values and work with them to create a sustainable future. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions, guides our decisions and shapes our culture. We maintain a strategically located network of more than 95 state-of-the-art waste management facilities and a fleet of specialized equipment and assets to help customers address production and operational waste challenges. Our highly effective, convenient and environmentally sound solutions help minimize environmental impact and maximize returns.
A privately-held company, we’ve been known for the past 25 years by the brands of our founding companies: CCS, Hazco, Beck, Concord and others. By joining together our individual expertise, experience, assets and services, we are uniquely positioned to develop integrated project management solutions and provide customers easier access to our broad range of comprehensive services.
The Field Service Technician is responsible for responding to urgent situations and working as part of a team to contain, identify and dispose of contaminates on the site in a safe and timely fashion. This position must also adhere to our safety program and work as a contributing member of the Emergency HAZMAT Response team. The Technician will also assist on project work in the field.
· Ensure all Tervita and site specific safety policies and procedures are followed
· Monitoring, sampling
· Manage weather and or seasonal interruptions in work schedule
· Respond to emergency calls 24/365
· Partake in all safety related meetings
· Accurately identify contaminated materials and their potential hazards
· Advise safest way to handle and dispose of materials
· Provide general laboring skills on spills response and other related projects including lifting, moving, shoveling and sweeping among other clean up duties
· Confined space entry duties including attendant and rescue
· Minimum of 5 years of industry related work experience or demonstrated competency
· Must be familiar with operating and servicing small equipment
· Must have a basic understanding in piping, pumping and fluid transfers
· Must be willing and able to work long hours, overtime and some weekend work.
· Must be willing and able to travel from job-to-job and spend time away from home
· Knowledgeable in chemistry; usage of industrial chemicals; their safe handling and characterization
· Able to work for extended periods of time on site
· Willing and able to wear hazmat gear including level B and level C equipment
· Good understanding of environmental regulations
· Able to perform physical tasks, including lifting, shoveling, moving containers and other heavy materials
· Willing and able to respond on short notice to Spill Response calls and worksite problem areas as required including after hours, weekends and holidays
· Fit-for-Work each day
· Ability to communicate effectively and express thoughts and ideas in a clear manner
· Good listening skills along with ability to accept and follow direction
· Ability to work well in a team environment or independently as required
· Open and honest with team members as it relates to all aspects of the work
· Maintain a positive attitude in all aspects of work along with a desire to continue to learn
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment background check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.