Position Title: Software Developer – New Grad Opportunity
Position Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Experience: Minimum 2 years of direct experience (or equivalent co-op experience)
Job Reference #: AJW201103
We are looking for talented, ambitious, and driven individuals ready to learn and to shape the future of high tech. As part of an elite team, you will investigate, design and implement high-performance embedded media processing software for Avvasi’s system-level products.
Avvasi’s Xperium platform is a scalable, carrier-grade platform for mobile video analytics and optimization planning services. It analyzes streaming media traffic in aggregate for large IP networks. The platform is a highly-available, managed, upgradable bladed system that houses a large amount of computing capacity. The software is architected to be high-performance, fault-tolerant, and linearly scalable.
So, if you are passionate about streaming technologies and next generation mobile devices, uphold a firm belief in designing—not hacking—and are determined to develop efficient, well-tested software, then we want to meet you! Bring your potential; we have the opportunities on one of our five teams:
· Platform: This team develops the base, embedded OS and middleware software layers across all the hardware components of Avvasi’s next generation telecommunications computing platforms. These are highly available multi-blade systems that meet the rigorous standards of the telecommunications world, where gear must be up and running 99.999% of the time -that's only five minutes of downtime a year!
· Packet Processing: This team develops the networking piece of the application software that runs on Avvasi’s platform. This includes a growing list of networking (TCP, UDP, IP) and streaming protocols (RTMP, HTTP, HTTP-LS). Their software supports real-time processing of multiple Gbps of traffic throughput per CPU, leveraging multi-core architectures and advanced threading models.
· Media Processing: This team develops the media processing piece of the application software that runs on Avvasi’s platform. This includes a growing list of containers (FLV, MP4) and codecs (H.264, AAC). Their software both drives and runs on the dense matrix of multi-core media processors and is concurrently processing many media streams.
· System QA: This team must combine the rigors of testing our hardware systems, our platform and application software with the complexities of global network topologies, intricate deployment scenarios, and Internet-scale traffic and traffic profiles. They develop software that exercises the full spectrum of Avvasi’s product features and customer deployments in a highly interconnected and automated lab environment.
· Analytics: This team develops Avvasi’s Analytics Engine; a robust and scalable product for analyzing trends in high volumes of media traffic data. The Analytics Engine provides visibility into media streaming demographics and subscribers’ QoE, which enables service providers to reduce customer churn, improve customer satisfaction, increase profitability and identify new areas for revenue generation and service differentiation.
Relevant technologies/experience for these positions:
Applicants must meet the following core criteria:
· Experience with C++ programming
· Experience with Linux-based development environments
· Some form of prior work experience through co-op, internships or equivalent work placements
Any of the following skills and experience would be an asset:
· Knowledge of embedded systems and embedded software development
· Working knowledge of networking and protocol stacks including one or more of TCP/IP, routing protocols, DNS, SNMP, etc. is an asset
· Working knowledge of/interest in Internet video streaming protocols such as HTTP, MPEG-TS, RTSP, and RTMP and containers such mp4, flv, asf, and mkv
· Highly organized, motivated and execution-oriented
Avvasi is an award-winning company that is helping service providers to assure, improve and monetize video streaming on their networks. At Avvasi we value diversity, intelligence and creativity; and we foster this in a culture of honesty, encouragement and fun!
Here are some of the benefits of joining Avvasi:
o Casual work environment
o Flexible working hours
o Excellent salaries
o Free beverages, snacks and weekly lunches
o Work on state-of-the-art technologies, with mentoring from top-notch developers
o Contribute directly to shipping product
o Gain valuable start-up experience; see the whole business
o Shape the future of mobile video
Avvasi is an award-winning company that is helping service providers assure, improve and monetize video service delivery over mobile and fixed networks. Service providers are deploying Avvasi solutions on the Xperium platform in order to measure and understand the network impact of new devices and changing subscriber usage patterns, as well as to plan and dimension network expansion, while reducing subscriber churn and maximizing revenue. Based in Waterloo, Ontario, Avvasi is a venture-backed, privately held company.
We value, live by, and actively encourage diversity, respect, intelligence, creativity, and fun, underpinned by a strong work ethic and a disciplined approach. Your responsibilities will be shaped by your abilities, drive, and ambition. Your passion will be critical to Avvasi’s business success and culture.
Avvasi offers competitive salaries plus stock options and excellent health, dental, vision, and disability benefits. All positions at Avvasi have opportunity for innovation, advancement, and success.
If you feel you have the ability and motivation to play a key role in a visionary technology start-up, considered the thought-leaders in a rapidly-growing market, we'd love to talk to you.
Come and help us build a great company together!