VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
SCHAUMBURG, IL (pop. 75,936), Dynamic community of diverse residential neighborhoods and a thriving epicenter of retail and commercial activity. As a home rule community with a AAA bond rating, Schaumburg offers a wide variety of municipal amenities including a regional airport, Boomers baseball stadium, Al Larson Prairie Center for the Arts, and the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center. Located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago, Schaumburg is the second largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "Best Illinois Cities for Jobs" and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
INVITES ONLINE APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Assistant Director of Finance with an online application deadline of 12/16/2018 or until 75 applicants have successfully completed the application process.
STARTING SALARY: $110,553.00 - $135,432.00 annually dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $110,553.00 - $160,312.00.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
The Assistant Director of Finance is a vital member of the executive team and works in tandem with the Finance Director to develop, implement, and coordinate fiscal activities and systems for the Village of Schaumburg. Key responsibilities of the Finance department include accounting and financial reporting, treasury management, competitive purchasing, budget development and oversight, debt administration, revenue collection and analysis, and vendor disbursements.
- Provides general management assistance and recommendations to the Director of Finance and acts as Director of Finance in their absence. Serves as Deputy Treasurer of the Village and attends Village Board or Standing Committee meetings, as needed.
- Oversees and coordinates preparation of monthly and annual financial reports, including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, Public Safety Pension funds, and Hotel and Convention Center.
- Determines and coordinates account access within the Enterprise Resource Planning system for village employees.
- Assists in the planning, development and implementation of financial processes, procedures and policies related to the Finance department and the organization, including oversight of competitive procurement initiatives. Provides guidance and coordination for all areas of responsibility in the Finance department.
- Provides supervisory management of the Finance department including direct reports. Responsible for scheduling, written performance appraisals, recommendations for promotion, demotion, reprimands and corrective action, and communication of expectations.
- Responsible for coordination of the day-to-day cash flow of Village funds. Analyzes the financial needs of the Village and makes recommendations to the director.
- Develops and maintains long-range financial plans and forecasts.
- Coordinates timely and accurate debt payments.
- Assists in development and coordination of the department and Village budget; assists departments in budget preparation and training. Responsible for Salary and Benefits portion of the budget in concert with the Human Resources department.
- Assists in interviewing prospective management/supervisory positions of the Finance Department and other village positions as requested. Provides training for direct reports in Finance department.
- Responsible for Tax Increment Financing accounting and reporting, and participation in annual meetings.
- Conducts salary analysis for contract negotiations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Investigates, analyzes, and resolves customer concerns and complaints not resolved by Division Supervisors.
- Calculates arbitrage rebate on an annual basis for all outstanding tax exempt debt.
- Reviews and approves purchase requisitions and direct pay requests.
- Assists the department director with a variety of special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business administration, finance, public administration, or related field.
- Master’s Degree preferred. If candidate does not possess a Master’s Degree at time of hire, they must obtain it within five years of employment/promotion.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license preferred.
- A minimum of three years of experience in public finance.
- A minimum of three years of supervisory experience coordinating a range of activities undertaken by others that involve directing, monitoring, and evaluating performance of staff.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of government accounting. Comprehensive knowledge of general laws and administration policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures. Technical knowledge of cash management and investments. Working knowledge of electronic data processing techniques and applications. Ability to provide effective leadership and maintain harmonious relations within the department. Ability to work effectively with department directors, other public officials and the general public. Ability to apply established accounting and budgeting methods and techniques. Ability to prepare accurate accounting records and reports.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This position works in a typical office setting. Ability to cope with numerous interruptions. Prolonged periods of concentration, proofreading, and extensive computer work.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER