Title: Veterinary Specialist
Location: Upper East Side
Org Unit: Veterinary Services
Work Days: Monday-Friday
Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Performs surgical procedures and other specialized experimental manipulations for investigative staff. Provides training in these techniques to investigative staff and RARC personnel. In association with veterinarians and investigators, develops and refines surgical and experimental procedures to accommodate the various species and protocols at WCM and MSKCC. Assists Veterinary Services (VS) Supervisor and Managers by providing supplemental oversight of VS technicians as needed, particularly in the realm of training and continuing education. Provides health care to laboratory animals maintained at WCM and occasionally MSKCC, by independently evaluating cases and implementing treatment in consultation with the veterinary staff.
- In compliance with departmental SOP's as well as institutional, local, state and federal regulations and AAALAC standards, performs surgical procedures and specialized experimental manipulations at the request of investigators or RARC veterinarians.
- Able to provide assistance to investigators regarding these applications when necessary. Provides training in surgical or other specialized procedures to investigative staff and RARC personnel.
- Manages research projects at the request of investigators or RARC veterinarians.
- Assists RARC Veterinarians and investigators with the development of surgical procedures and experimental models to accommodate protocols at WCM and MSKCC.
- Performs administrative tasks including the submission of order requests and generating Charge Orders for services rendered.
- Performs or assists with routine quarantine procedures on primates, dogs, cats, farm animals and rodents, including physical exam, blood collection, TB tests and collecting samples for parasite examination, rectal cultures, and other tests.
- Performs rounds and monitors animals to assess their health and well being.Independently evaluates and assesses common disease conditions and reports problems as appropriate.
- Supplements the veterinary technical staff as needed. Prepares the operating room for procedures, including preparation and sterilization of surgical instruments and supplies.
- Associate's Degree in related field
4-7 years experience in veterinary science including a minimum of 4+ years experience in laboratory animal medicine and science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be capable of functioning independently, but is expected to request help when necessary.
Licenses and Certifications
- AALAS certification at the laboratory animal Technologist ( LATG) level or Academy of Surgical Research (ASR) certification ,
- AALAS certification at the laboratory animal technician level (LAT) and demonstrated equivalent experience.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Weill Cornell Medicine is a comprehensive academic medical center that's committed to excellence in patient care, scientific discovery, and the education of future physicians in New York City and around the world. Our doctors and scientists-faculty from Weill Cornell Medical College, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the Weill Cornell Physician Organization-are engaged in world-class clinical care and cutting-edge research that connect patients to the latest treatment innovations and prevention strategies. Located in the heart of the Upper East Side's scientific corridor, Weill Cornell Medicine's powerful network of collaborators extends to its parent university Cornell University; to Qatar, where an international campus offers a U.S. medical degree; and to programs in Tanzania, Haiti, Brazil, Austria and Turkey. Our medical practices serve communities throughout New York City, and our faculty provide comprehensive care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital, and NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens. At Weill Cornell Medicine, we work together to treat each individual, not just their conditions or illnesses, as we strive to deliver the finest possible care for our patients - the center of everything we do. Weill Cornell Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Weill Cornell Medicine provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.