Orica is the world’s largest provider of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction markets, a leading supplier of sodium cyanide for gold extraction, and a specialist provider of ground support services in mining and tunnelling.
Orica has a diverse workforce of around 11,500 employees and contractors, servicing customers across more than 100 countries. Our purpose is to make our customers successful, every day, all around the world. We take pride in operating safely, responsibly and sustainably. Together, these enable us to grow and create enduring value for our shareholders.
About the Role - 3691 - Principal Engineer Design for Plastics Moulding - Brownsburg, QC
This role is responsible for providing technical leadership in Plastics Components manufacturing across the ISPE manufacturing portfolio and to provide technical support to the SM&T function for the new product introduction process. Key activities will include technical oversight of third party plastic molding and mold maintenance processes, technical support to new product development projects and development of manufacturing strategies for in-sourcing of plastic components.
What you will be doing
- Subject matter expert in Plastic Components and Manufacturing techniques and processes
- Support to global procurement for vendor selection for Plastic Components
- Lead and implement all aspects of best-practice, low-cost for specific new product development projects, through understanding end-user requirements.
- Identify key touch-points to improve commercial outcomes in the new product development process.
- Embed subject matter expertise to wider Orica and foster a growing community of practice
- Participate in safety initiatives, such as Hazard Studies and MHI verification/ assessments as required.
- Delivery of initiatives on time to achieve project CDP deadlines
- EBIT improvement (cost reductions, throughput improvement, cost of poor quality reduction) and improved efficiencies from IS and/or PE Manufacturing operations.
- Actioning feedback from internal stakeholders (eg. Manufacturing & Supply, Regional Manufacturing, Product Technology, key Site Management
- In depth understanding of the policies and procedures that underpin the safety and environmental performance of IS and/or PE manufacturing technology.
- Mentoring of less experienced engineers and technologists and participation in industry groups in the area of technology expertise
- Bachelor degree or higher in Engineering
- +5 years experience in plastic moulding and plastics component manufacture
- Demonstrated expertise in Design for Manufacturing principles
- Expert knowledge of plastic molding technology, manufacturing principles and safe working practices.
- Ability to interact across multiple cultures worldwide
What we offer
• The opportunities, facilities and environment associated with working in an international organisation;
• Career paths that are totally flexible allowing you to specialise or become a generalist;
• A diverse workplace where your unique abilities and talents will be recognised and encouraged;
• Training programs, opportunities and initiatives to ensure your continued growth;
• Competitive salary packages.