The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a Health Financing Specialist to support a TB services project in Nigeria under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in TB, family planning, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other priority health areas.
In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus will build the capacity of private providers to detect, diagnose, treat and report tuberculosis cases in Lagos and Kano States. The project aims to increase availability of TB services in the private sector, improve flow of suspected TB patients into detection and treatment centers, improve the quality of private sector TB services, and strengthen health systems to foster and sustain an optimal mix of public private mix (PPM) models for TB care.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support of health-financing interventions, with emphasis on facilitating removal of financial barriers to access network services for TB patients.
- Lead SHOPS Plus Nigeria initiatives to sustain optimal public-private mix (PPM) models for TB care, in line with the national health financing strategy
- Facilitate linkages between patients and public and private insurance schemes, pre-payment programs, and other financing mechanisms to render private services more affordable.
- Document evidence and lessons learned around successful approaches for purchasing health services that improve access to essential health services.
- Provide technical input regarding health financing activities and topics for work plans and progress reports.
- Develop presentations and reports, budgets and monitor program or activity expenditures
- Monitor compliance with USAID regulations and policies of Abt
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- MBA or Master's degree in health economics, health policy and management, or public health with a health financing focus.
- He/she will have at least eight years of relevant experience in health financing, insurance, or related field, preferably USAID-funded.
- Understanding of health financing policy, health financing strategies development, planning, capacity-building, initiatives implementation.
- Experience in contracting and provider mechanism, development and management of public-private partnerships, business partnerships and partnerships between donors a plus.
- Proven ability to promote and enhance relationships between private sector actors and government stakeholders.
- Knowledge of TB and TB programs in Nigeria strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong management skills, and ability to work independently and on teams.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.