The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities. We are market leaders in providing policy and regulatory support; advancing public health and clinical epidemiology; providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration; shaping healthcare policy and health services delivery; responding to mental health and substance use disorders; and studying the criminal justice system. The underpinning of our work is a research-to-practice framework, through which we engage in activities from research to program implementation. DHE provides a dynamic and collaborative work environment to our employees that fosters professional growth and promotes a culture of innovation, thought leadership, technical excellence, and collaboration.
Abt Associates seeks a Senior Analyst / PhD Economist to support the Division of Health and Environment. The Senior Analyst / PhD Economist will apply general and specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and business operations in the field of economics. Using independent judgement and discretion, S/he will apply standard and non-standard quantitative and/or qualitative methods and techniques. The position holder should apply specific economic theories and principles to quantitative and qualitative analyses, draft and manage the implementation of procedures for data collection, manipulation and analysis during all project phases and provide various economics points of view.
The Senior Anaylst / PhD Economist will exercise initiative to resolve complex non-routine matters. Implement and manage project schedules, plans, goals and budgets under the indirect supervision of more senior staff, independently analyze issues to reconcile and resolve problems and apply his or her knowledge and experience of general operations, systems, and project procedures. The position holder may assume a role in proposal efforts by preparing drafts of sections and establish an industry presence as a subject-matter expert by publishing in peer-reviewed journals and/or by presenting at annual conferences and meetings. The Senior Analyst / PhD Economist should identify and recruit substantive peers and actively participate in the development of less senior staff. S/He will review project reports and findings and will also be responsible for reviewing applications, data sets and models for anomalies to ensure accuracy. Additionally, the Senior Analyst / PhD Economist will spend time doing specific research and study to prepare for the role of Associate.
Key Role and Responsibilities
- Lead project management teams and perform/manage a variety of research analysis tasks.
- May provide training and technical supervision to less experienced staff.
- Review collected data and analyses using standard practices and techniques in the field(s) of specialization.
- Devise methods and lead the design computer modeling, stimulation or simple to moderately complex forecasting using standard software packages.
- Apply quantitative and/or qualitative analysis techniques and methods.
- Independently, work on assignments that are complex under indirect supervision where there is latitude for independent action and decision-making.
- Economists will be expected to apply standard economic theory and econometric methods to the implementation of impact evaluations and other research projects.
- Using standard economic theory, Economists should contribute to the design of our evaluations in a variety of ways, including identifying potential unintended consequences of the programs we evaluate.
- Using econometric techniques, Economists should bring a substantial toolbox of skills to the task of estimating the impacts of the programs and policies that we evaluate in Abt studies.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- PhD in Economics by Summer 2017.
- Strong empirical skills.
- Strong interest in public policy research.
- Communicates effectively in English, orally and in writing.
- Works effectively on teams.
- Thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Conducts research with attention to detail and schedule.
- PhD (Entry Level) in Economics OR ABD in Economics; and 0 – 2 years relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.