The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a health professional with strong managerial and financial management skills and USAID experience to serve as Chief of Party (COP) in Nigeria under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in family planning and reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other health areas. In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus focuses on tuberculosis and family planning.
The COP is responsible for leadership of the SHOPS Plus project in Nigeria and ensuring the effective implementation of the project. The COP represents SHOPS Plus and is responsible for coordination among USAID, key local stakeholders and other implementing partners at the national, state and local government levels. He/she will ensure the project achieves results including project deliverables and targets in an effective and compliant manner.
He/she will promote collaboration with other donor-funded projects, government decision makers, and stakeholders to ensure the alignment of this project with their priorities and guidelines. SHOPS Plus activities focus on both the public and private sectors.
This position will be based in Abuja and cover activities in other target States. Applicants must be a Nigerian or have a work permit for Nigeria.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the project ensuring full alignment with national and international standards.
- Oversee the implementation of the project ensuring the achievement of all project deliverables and targets in a timely manner.
- Effectively represent SHOPS Plus and build and maintain excellent, productive relationships with USAID and government counterparts and relevant civil society organizations and serve as a leader in the health community.
- Provide vision and guidance to the project staff.
- Identify obstacles and risks related to implementation in a timely manner and implement strategies to overcome them.
- Ensure implementation of accountability mechanisms to foster quality and ensure client’s rights and choice.
- Supervise and oversee the work of project staff, SHOPS Plus partners and subcontractors
- Exercise sound financial management skills including effective project spending.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team; ensure strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations and internal controls.
- Guide the learning agenda for the project, use lessons learned to modify project approaches and strategies, and disseminate findings.
- Lead the development of the strategy for scale up of the TB and FP initiatives.
- Create strong partnerships with other implementing partners working on TB and FP.
- Review technical materials to ensure high quality products.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree in public health and/or a Medical Doctor.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including 5 years in managing complex public health service delivery programs or programs of similar scope and size.
- Proven experience in administration, financial management, award compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs.
- Excellent management and organizational skills to lead teams to deliver high quality program results.
- Demonstrated strategic vision for the health sector, leadership qualities, depth and breadth of technical and management expertise and experience.
- Excellent professional reputation and a proven success interacting with host country government agencies, counterparts, donors, and international experts.
- Proven ability to gather data and document program activities, successes, and lessons learned.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Local languages an advantage.
- Knowledge of Nigerian private health sector.
- Experience with USAID or other donors.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.