The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Leader to support the upcoming DFID PFM Reform project in Tanzania. The M&E Leader will report to the project’s Team Leader. S/he will lead the design of the project’s M&E plan and the subsequent monitoring project results.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support DFID Advisers in finalizing, post inception phase, of the PFM Reform project’s M&E plan, including baselines and targets, and support evidence‐based revisions as required;
- Regularly track and report progress against the M&E plan to DFID
- Regularly monitor (at least quarterly, but expected more frequently in the cases of availability of new context‐specific intelligence and evidence) and report progress against the project’s Theory of Change to DFID, using relevant methodologies to explore whether the assumptions and causal chain underpinning the Theory of change still hold, integrating this analysis with monitoring of logframe results;
- Support DFID in developing the Final Independent Evaluation of the project.
- Work closely with DFID, the local government, and project technical staff from the implementing partners to ensure appropriate and adequate monitoring and evaluation efforts are in place to provide all stakeholders with data needed to inform programme design and implementation decisions;
- Build capacity of implementing partner program staff to both collect monitoring data and to then use monitoring, evaluation, and research data to assist and improve project implementation;
- Present M&E findings in written reports and at relevant local and international conferences and meetings;
- Provide day-to-day management of data collection firms/vendors hired for monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Lead data collection, analysis, and reporting for ongoing monitoring and evaluation;
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate Degree (desirable), in Public Administration, Public Health, Demography, Economics, Statistics, International Development, or other relevant field.
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities for complex international development programs. Experience in M&E of governance reforms and service delivery preferred.
- Significant experience conducting M&E of donor-funded (DFID preferred) governance or international development programs.
- Demonstrated experience designing monitoring, evaluation, and learning frameworks for complex projects, including identifying input, output, outcome, and impact indicators, sources, methods, and targets.
- Demonstrated experience leading both performance and impact evaluation teams.
- Demonstrated experience with mixed method data collection and analysis techniques.
- Experience training non-technical staff to collect monitoring data.
- Experience working with international development project implementers to ensure use of monitoring and evaluation results in programme design and decisions.
- Excellent writing and editing skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, organizational and mentoring skills.
- Tanzanian national or able to relocate to Tanzania.
- Experience in Tanzania preferred, as is ability to speak Kiswahili.
To be considered for this position, an applicant must submit the following:
- Project Name and Position Title
- Updated CV
- Cover Letter that describes how the candidate meets the minimum qualifications
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.