The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a Plateau State Coordinator to support a family planning project under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in TB, family planning, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other health areas. In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus will capacitate public and private providers to scale up family planning, especially Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs) in FCT and Plateau State.
The Plateau State Coordinator will support implementation of a family planning services expansion project that will increase the number of qualified providers in public and private sector healthcare facilities who are capable of providing high quality voluntary family planning services.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the FP Technical Director to plan and implement public and private sector FP programs in Plateau State
- Work closely with state FP focal persons to develop and implement detailed action plans for activities in Plateau State
- Provide inputs for the development and review of technical resource materials (e.g. training materials, RH/FP plans, strategy documents, job aids) and programming tools to support meeting project objectives
- Maintain excellent working relationships with and serve as the main liaison among communities, facilities, local and state government authorities in Plateau State
- Coordinate with other relevant USAID state programmes and FP partners to strengthen state level collaborations and improve efficiency of implementation
- Supervise Plateau State Program Officers in expanding training and supportive supervison for FP in the public and private sector
- Provide administrative leadership for program staff in Plateau State
- Coordinate state level communication, advocacy and knowledge management tasks including documentation
- Contribute to the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system
Preferred Skills / Prerequistes
- Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Bachelor’s (BS) or Master’s (MS) degree in health management, public health, health administration, or other relevant field
- Ten years (BS) or eight years (MS) of relevant work experience, especially in RH/FP programs
- Experience with public and private sector health service delivery at the state and/or local government level
- Ability to write technical papers and reports
- Strong abilities to implement capacity building activities, training and workshops
- Experience working on USAID funded projects is preferred
- Computer skills in MS Windows, Excel, Word
- Ability to travel within and outside the state approximately 50% of the time
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.