The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a professional with a strong background in developing public/private partnerships for health to serve as Private Sector Partnerships Lead for the Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS Plus) project in Tanzania. This project is helping increase the use of priority health services for family planning (FP), HIV, and malaria by strengthening and leveraging the capacity of the private health sector to provide these services. SHOPS Plus also contributes to building ownership of total market approaches (TMA) within Tanzanian institutions to help sustain continued public/private collaboration in priority health areas. The Private Sector Partnerships Lead will be tasked with directing the implementation of a new activity designed to increase the availability of FP products and services in the Tanzania private sector, with a focus on Long Acting and Reversible Methods.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The PSP Lead will direct program implementation by engaging directly with local partners, which may include private distributors, social marketing organizations, social enterprises, private clinical facilities, and professional associations. He/she will work closely with the Reproductive and Child Health Services division of the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDEC) in to ensure government support for the program. The PSP Lead will also manage consultants that may be contracted to carry out specific activity components and direct market research and monitoring efforts for the activity. He/she will report to the SHOPS Plus Chief of Party in Dar es Salaam and receive technical guidance and support from US-based Abt advisors as necessary.
Key activities included in the scope of this positon may include the following:
- Develop communication and training programs to support the introduction of new FP products and services in the Tanzanian private sector
- In collaboration with relevant actors, support activities designed to reduce challenges to market entry or growth for new FP products
- Direct market research to monitor the presence of FP products in the private sector
- Foster close relationships with current importers and distributors or scaling up access to long acting and reversible methods in the private sector
- Develop a quality assurance mechanism for privately delivered FP services
- Ensure coordination across all planned activities, track progress, and provide troubleshooting support to overcome challenges and prevent delays
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Development, business or related field
- Familiarity with the private healthcare sector and the pharmaceutical market in Tanzania
- Demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of health programs
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with private Tanzanian organizations
- Fluency in English
- Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial personality with exceptional people skills
- Knowledge of family planning and reproductive health
- Training and experience in social marketing or commercial marketing
- Experience in developing public/private partnerships in health or other development sectors
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.