Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Responsible for interpreting data, determining requirements, executing detailed engineering design, and providing technical support during construction, commissioning and initial operation of large and complex capital investment projects addressing water supply, water and wastewater treatment, storage, pumping, and buried infrastructure facilities. Supervise internal technical resources and external consulting firms on assigned projects. Also, serve as technical expert in specified engineering disciplines (process,mechanical, civil/structural, electrical/I&C) that are of critical importance to the planning and delivery of assets and Company operations. Further, for assets within assigned area of expertise, develop technical standards,standard specifications, policies and procedures, and approved product/vendor lists; maintain industry andtrade association contacts and lists of showcase or representative projects; and provide consultancy and project level support, all in support of overall operational excellence and engineering center of excellence initiatives within American Water. American Water will offer "paid relocation" for this position.
- Conduct process evaluations and facility inspections to identify capitalimprovements necessary to reliably meet future water supply needs via existing or proposed treatment facilities. Develop design concepts for design of new or expansion/renovation of existing treatment facilities. (20%)
- Prepare, or manage via third party consulting firms, the preparation of technical, bidding and contractual documents associated with delivery of assigned capital investment projects. Oversee scope and quality of work to achieve the intent of all design concepts and Company standards for capacity, performance, reliability, safety and regulatory compliance. Serve as technical resource during construction, commissioning and initial operation of assets. (40%)
- Serve as advisor on matters within assigned discipline, including technical design, maintenance, asset management and operations. (10%)
- Assist business development function in pursuit of O&M, acquisitions, D/B/O contracts relating to assets within area of expertise. Represent the Company in client relations, assist in preparing technical and cost proposals, and provide follow-up engineering services for successful proposals. (10%)
- Participate in special assignments including professional conferences, regulatory workshops, business development, rate case testimony, technology research and other matters of strategic interest to the Company. (10%)
- Lead and oversee development of Engineering Standards, specifications, equipment manufacturer recommendations to support Center of Excellence initiatives established by the Regional Engineering Directors. (10%)
Knowledge / Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering design theory and practice in area of expertise, project management, water resources, water/wastewater facilities and utility maintenance and operations.
- Knowledge of current trends in area of expertise and for water quality and treatment and other aspects of the regulated and non-regulated water industry.
- Project management skills.
- Quantitative skills (e.g., analytical, technical, problem solving).
- Effective people management (e.g., planning, organizing, recruiting, controlling and leading individual staff and teams).
- Written and verbal communication skills (e.g., fluency in report writing and presentations).
- Interpersonal skills (e.g., persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal consulting).
- Leadership presence (e.g., ability to deal effectively and maintain cooperative working relationships with Company senior management and other key stakeholders).
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- Minimum 10 years experience in water resources design and project management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering; Advanced management or technical degree preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license required
- Primarily in the office with occasional work in the field at treatment facilities to conduct site investigations, review construction, and support facility start-up/commissioning.
- Up to 20% travel.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.