Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
This position is responsible for managing (through a team as appropriate) all activities concerned with the delivery of multiple large and complex capital investment projects, the size and importance of which are of critical importance to Company objectives related to Production, Networks, and/or other water resource or operations systems from inception to completion.
- Monitoring and managing budgets and schedules for multiple large and complex Capital Investment Projects and programs of varying scope.
- Driving efficiency into project delivery through the monitoring of delivery metrics (unit costs, target costs vs. actual, etc.) and pursuit of more effective delivery and procurement approaches.
- Delivery of assigned Capital Projects in accordance with policies and procedures set for in the Capital Investment Management (CIM) system to meet asset needs.
- Ensure Asset Owner satisfaction in accordance with the scope of work agreed upon for each project. Interacts with Operations personnel to ensure project delivery program meets operations needs. And coordinated with operations personnel on operational impacts related to project delivery program.
- Ensures compliance with established regulatory criteria, specifications and standards.
- Interacts with property group, technical services, and other internal groups and external governmental agencies to coordinate land acquisition, easements, rights of ways, permits, certificates, and other project approvals for assigned projects and programs.
Knowledge / Skills
- Broad knowledge of Engineering, Project Management and construction management practices related to planning, design, construction and operations for water resource facilities, engineering and utility economics and contract administration and construction technology.
- Good working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, water treatment, developer services and other related water resource management disciplines. Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of company procedures, policies and operations.
- Knowledge of employee relations, applicable safety and environmental regulations, federal and state water quality and design regulations and technical standards.
- Strong project management skills (e.g., planning, organizing, directing, monitoring and reporting of project activities).
- Ability to interact with colleagues, governmental agencies, consultants and the general public with effective skill.
- Project planning skills. Good verbal and written communication skills (e.g., presentation, listening, report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills (tact/diplomacy, persuasion, cooperation and ability to motivate others)
- Computer literacy. Competent in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, flow-charting, project scheduling.
- Financial analysis skill, including budget management and basic accounting knowledge.
Experience / Education
- Minimum 10 years experience in project delivery of major water resources projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field. Advanced management or technical degree preferred.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
Up to 20%; primarily office environment with few field visits.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.