Director of Libraries
Reports to: Dean of Libraries and Academic Support
FLSA Status: Exempt
Closing date for applications is 10/21/2018.
Basic Purpose: Provide administration and participate in strategic planning for library operations college-wide, including centralized library technical services and resource management. Working collaboratively with the Libraries and Academic Support leadership team and other colleagues, coordinate the design and delivery of impactful services, engaging programming, and seamless knowledge access, to further student engagement, learning, and success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop, implement, and evaluate services, programming, policies, and procedures, with a focus on student experience, efficiency of workflows, and service design.
• Proactively promote and inform the college community about library resources and services. Manage student, staff, and faculty expectations, responding to questions and concerns promptly.
• Directly supervise, train, and evaluate support staff and part-time librarians, including scheduling, delegating, and assigning work, evaluating performance, and timekeeping.
• In coordination with the Dean of Libraries and Academic Support, and through the assigned librarians and staff, provide coordination for the management of the physical and digital collections and their lifecycle processes, including acquisitions, cataloging, serials, interlibrary loan, and digitization.
• Coordinating with the Director of Libraries, recruit, hire, cross-train, and evaluate student employees and support staff to provide services in Libraries and Academic Support.
• Gather, analyze, and present data from multiple interfaces to generate content for annual reports, accreditation reviews, and strategic planning.
• Working with the Dean, librarians, and Faculty Development, design and participate in delivery of an ongoing program of development and training opportunities for the team
• Identify and evaluate new and emerging services and technologies, making recommendations when appropriate.
• Liaise with instructional designers, the help desk and IT staff to maintain websites, systems, and integrations.
• In the absence of the Dean, serve as administrator with full responsibility.
• Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library / Information Science required.
• Minimum of 3 years of increasing responsibility in managing academic library resources or services, including supervision of employees.
• Strong working knowledge of current and best practices in library resource management.
• Strong working knowledge of discovery systems, OPAC’s, ILS modules, and library service platforms.
• General knowledge of library databases, reference tools and methods.
• Willingness to exercise proper authority and good independent judgment.
• Ability to train other library staff on enhancements or new tools within the areas of knowledge access and resource management.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong technical and analytical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
• Understanding of and strong commitment to a comprehensive community college philosophy.
Montgomery County Community College (MCCC) has a strong institutional commitment to diversity and is dedicated to excellence through diversity in education and employment. MCCC, an EEO Employer, provides equal employment and educational opportunities to all who are qualified. In keeping with the College’s diversity initiative, MCCC seeks and welcomes applications from diverse candidates, those who have had multicultural experience, and those who can demonstrate a commitment to diversity.