Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Perform a variety of complex chemical and/or microbiological testing for various water matrices using sophisticated analytical instrumentation.
- Perform a variety of complex sample analysis requiring analytical expertise in assigned technique; process samples within method required holding times; prioritize, generate and interpret sample data through detailed review; ensure data generated meets EPA and accrediting authority standards. (40%)
- Provide response and follow-up to laboratory inquiries from utility subsidiaries,business partners and client groups within requested timeframe.(5%)
- Acts as a resource to colleagues with less experience; cross-trains with colleagues with more experience to develop competence in all areas of lab. (15%)
- Identify routine and non-routine problems and perform necessary conduct troubleshooting and maintenance of analytical equipment and processes as necessary to ensure continued sample analysis and optimum instrument performance. Works with vendors and service technicians to resolve issues. (15%)
- Provide secondary review and validation of data produced by other colleagues with equal or lesser skill; participate in assigned preparation for and follow-up to external and internal audits; participate in the development of standard operating procedures and assist in the development of corrective action. (20%)
- Evaluate and monitor supplies and other laboratory costs to assist in maintaining the lab budget. (5%)
Knowledge / Skills
- Knowledge and ability to operate complex analytical chemistry instrumentation.
- Computer literacy (competent in use of Word and Excel, LIMS and other software as needed).
- Familiarity with EPA, NELAC and OSHA rules
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- 2-4 of progressively responsible environmental laboratory experience preferred.
- GC, GC/MS, HPLC, IC, ICP, ICP/MS, LC/MS or microscopy experience preferred.
- BA/BS in Chemistry, Biology or related field required.
- Relevant laboratory experience along with bachelor level coursework may be considered in lieu of completed bachelors level degree
- Primarily an indoor laboratory environment. Laboratory work will require periods of standing while performing bench top work, working with lab instruments and sitting for computer entry. Some lifting necessary.
- Some outside work necessary in all weather
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.